Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Legality of Shotgun Carry - River fishing off the beaten path.

Hi Guys,

I've always been a target shooter with a bit of action shooting, meaning I've never hunted or carried out in the wilds. So I need some schooling from you guys.

I haven't fished in years but am heading out for some wilderness fly fishing soon. In my fishing past I've come across heavy bear sign to the point where your head is swiveling so much looking for bears you can barely concentrate on fishing.

I have a bird head grip 14" Canuck, and am wondering on the legality of having it loaded in a backpack, just in case. Basically the grip would be sticking out of the top and it would only be for emergency-no hunting. I'll be in remote enough areas, but may encounter other people also (we all know how some people can get). Where are the sticking points with this? Southwest Alberta if that makes any difference.

I've got bear spray too, but I'm not that excited about seasoning myself for a bear's supper...

Quote Originally Posted by Scotlas View Post
    Hi Guys,

I've always been a target shooter with a bit of action shooting, meaning I've never hunted or carried out in the wilds. So I need some schooling from you guys.

I haven't fished in years but am heading out for some wilderness fly fishing soon. In my fishing past I've come across heavy bear sign to the point where your head is swiveling so much looking for bears you can barely concentrate on fishing.

I have a bird head grip 14" Canuck, and am wondering on the legality of having it loaded in a backpack, just in case. Basically the grip would be sticking out of the top and it would only be for emergency-no hunting. I'll be in remote enough areas, but may encounter other people also (we all know how some people can get). Where are the sticking points with this? Southwest Alberta if that makes any difference.

I've got bear spray too, but I'm not that excited about seasoning myself for a bear's supper...
    Sounds to me that your shotgun might not make the minimum length before it's classed as restricted. If so, it can only be shot at an approved range.
    "We know they are lying. They know they are lying. They know that we know they are lying. We know that they know that we know they are lying.

And still they continue to lie." - Alexander Solzhenitsyn

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Lets just assume its not restricted. If you're in Alberta, you can hunt coyotes and rabbits 365 days a year with no license, so you're good to go as far as hunting regs are concerned. Your only other issue is where you are. Crown land, and you're good to go. Private property, I believe you now must have written permission from the land/lease owner. In a park, forget it. Thats a no go for sure. When Im out wood cutting on lease sites, I always have either my 12 gauge or my 44 mag lever with me and just leave it loaded on the tailgate of my truck. Never had an issue...but then again, Ive never come across a fish cop either.
    Last edited by blacksmithden; 06-03-2022 at 12:21 PM.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

4. The Following User Liked This Post By blacksmithden

Scotlas (06-03-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    When Im out wood cutting on lease sites, I always have either my 12 gauge or my 44 mag lever with me and just leave it loaded on the tailgate of my truck. Never had an issue...but then again, Ive never come across a fish cop either.
    In Alberta if you leave a loaded firearm in/on/ or leaning against a motor vehicle....you are definitely going to have a Big Problem with the 1st Fish Cop you run into....lean it against a stump etc if you must, but if it is on the tailgate of your truck you will be charged.

Jim
    "I am the midnight watchman down at Miller's Tool and Die
    And I watch the metal rusting and I watch that time go by"

I will not comply!
    WEXIT

6. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Halfton

barkerlakebob (06-04-2022), Stew (06-03-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by stevebc View Post
    Sounds to me that your shotgun might not make the minimum length before it's classed as restricted. If so, it can only be shot at an approved range.
    They're fine.

8. The Following User Liked This Post By Grimlock

Aniest (06-03-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
    They're fine.
    It was sold as non restricted with that grip and included a standard length stock.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfton View Post
    In Alberta if you leave a loaded firearm in/on/ or leaning against a motor vehicle....you are definitely going to have a Big Problem with the 1st Fish Cop you run into....lean it against a stump etc if you must, but if it is on the tailgate of your truck you will be charged.

Jim
    You're probably right. I should put it a few feet away.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

11. The Following User Liked This Post By blacksmithden

Mobusten (06-05-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Halfton View Post

Jim
    Same in Ontario.

I think it's the same in BC too.
    In that scenario the rule is absurd. Perhaps it ought to be changed to "not loaded in a vehicle while the vehicle is running", or "not loaded in the passenger compartment".
    With sitting on the tailgate while you're doing something not even related to hunting and it ought to be obvious that you have no intention of doing anything that the rule was intended to be against.
    War.

Legal advice is best obtained from a lawyer, after first reading the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotlas View Post
    Hi Guys,

Loaded in a backpack, likely qualifies as concealed carry.

While fishing, it is unlikely that any law is violated if the weapon is secured to the outside of the pack loaded and ready for bear, as the saying goes.
    Gun Control is about making it unlawful for you to use, carry, or possess a firearm.

All restrictions/prohibitions on the use, carriage, or possession of firearms must be repealed.

Middle ground?

What middle ground?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast