Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Feeding tube brass corrosion on "new" Marlin XT-22M

I just bought by "email order" what has to be one of the last store sourced new XT-22M Marlins in Sept 2022.
    The rifle looks great. Wood is nice, metal is nice. I have no idea how long it's been sitting in the store, but
    it seems in great condition. I clean out the bore and it seems typical of a new gun.

Last night I take it to the range. When I pull out the brass feeding tube rod, I see dark grey build up stuck to the brass
    like dry cement mix. With a dry rag a lot of it comes off and it leaves behind patina. I load it and fire some test shots and
    it seems to function fine.

Later I take it home and put some G96 on the rod and also put some patches down the feeding tube, which come back with some reddish brown.

I've owned a few other tube fed 22s and never have seen anything like it. But now I'm thinking I should be cleaning inside the feeding tube and rod once in awhile. The patina on the rod is there to stay. It's deep enough that I can feel the resistance on a rag passed over the worst spots. I'll probably be living with this as finding new condition replacement parts is drying up out there.

Someone posted their experience with a recent purchase of ammunition that came out with some brass corrosion. But I thought that took a decade or more to happen.

Guessin' it was 'protected' by some factory worker using WD40 or some other sh**. Don't know what would cause 'grey build up' except maybe something like car polish?? Did the stuff have any 'odour'??
    I'd run a tight brush thru the tube to get that stuff out, maybe with H#9 or such, then oil it well. Also, use some 2-600g paper on the follower rod and oil it too. I've always oiled tube feeders, for the past 60+ years. Never seen anything like that.
    Last edited by Fasteddie01; 08-26-2022 at 07:19 AM.

I didn't notice any smell and there wasn't any green or turquoise (from Verdigris) as far as I could tell. I always heard not to lubricate it, as it would put oils in the feeding path. Now I'll be doing it once in awhile.

Read a thread about this in another forum and it has the typical wide array of answers like polishing inside the tube with johnson's paste wax. Absolutely no idea how one polishes from inside a narrow tube, and no one can explain why furniture polish would be superior to CLPs designed for gun metal.

What I saw did not look like this ammo in another posting on this forum...

https://www.gunownersofcanada.ca/sho...-Going-On-Here

It was more dark grey - might be combination of two different metals oxidizing.

I run a 'snug' patch with a bit of oil down the tube, then a dry patch so there's not too much there. Hasn't bothered my Marlin 60s. And a light coat on the follower, too. I only do that about once a year.
    As for waxing, I'd guess pokin' some down there with one patch, then pulling a snake out the front would 'polish' it ? I hear Johnson's resists scuff marks ^O^

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    I trickle a little oil down there once in a while and run the rod in and out a few times while turning it. That spreads it out pretty well. I run an oiled patch through at the same time Im doing the bore, but I dont really get right into actually cleaning it much. I never start scrubbing the tube down with bore cleaner or anything like that
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Give it a shot of Fluid Film, it is lanolin (Wool Wax) and will not affect the ammo, chamber or bore.

And more importantly, how do you intend to limit that mag to only 5 rounds when Marco Pinocchio brings in his permanent max 5 round mag limit in the near future that he and other Lieberal's are wetting themselves over?
    Warning! some sarcasm, facetious and jovial behavior, satire, irony, dry humor, playful banter and more may or may not be involved in my postings. Please read anything I have written as being said in the most joyful and happy voice you can possibly imagine.

To whom it may concern: I hereby declare I am not responsible for any of the debts or liabilities incurred by the dim witted one known as Justin Trudeau!

I acquired an old Cooey that had been very poorly stored and it had a similar sort of crud on the tube. I still haven't really dealt with it because it may never come back to useful condition.

I am willing to go to jail over a tubular .22 magazine. 3 hots and a cot.

Quote Originally Posted by M1917 Enfield View Post
    Give it a shot of Fluid Film, it is lanolin (Wool Wax) and will not affect the ammo, chamber or bore.

And more importantly, how do you intend to limit that mag to only 5 rounds when Marco Pinocchio brings in his permanent max 5 round mag limit in the near future that he and other Lieberal's are wetting themselves over?
    That's easy. The government will ask Marlin how to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
    I acquired an old Cooey that had been very poorly stored and it had a similar sort of crud on the tube. I still haven't really dealt with it because it may never come back to useful condition.

I am willing to go to jail over a tubular .22 magazine. 3 hots and a cot.
    Again, not our problem. Government can call up the Cooey company in Coburg and ask them how to modify the firearm.

11. The Following User Liked This Post By labradort

Grimlock (08-26-2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast