Advice please re: Transfer of family member's handguns

I'm trying to figure out how to transfer my dad's handguns to me. Here's the sitch:

• I'm in Manitoba, he's in Ontario
    • Both have valid RPALs, guns are registered
    • Dad has a terminal illness and is immobile (cannot talk on the phone nor sign, but is lucid), may not live long enough to see the transfer through

The obvious twist here is his condition. I can't seem to find a thread that addresses our situation.

I'm grateful for your guidance...

Sorry for your situation. Tough one to be in.

Does someone have power of attorney?

After you’ve completed your firearms inventory, consulted with experts, considered your options, and discussed dispersal with loved ones, write down your intentions. You now have a firearms estate plan. While the plan doesn’t replace your will, it does inform it. Your will is a legal document that identifies what happens to your estate after you die. It should reflect your wishes as outlined in your dispersal plan. The will should also address power of attorney. This gives someone else the authority to make decisions for you if you’re incapacitated.
    https://oodmag.com/passing-on-your-guns/

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Who has power of attorney ? They can initiate the transfer....although the CFC might be funny about it and ask for proof before they'll start it. That should be as easy as sending them the documents via fax/scan and email. You're not the only person in this situation, and I'm sure it's happened thousands of times before. Get a coffee, sit down in your most comfortable chair, and start dialing/redialing 1-800-731-4000 and ask them what the procedure is for sure. Get on it NOW. By the look of the calendar, parliament resumes Sept 19th. Turd n' Company won't be long ramming the stick up our a==es after that.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

4. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

Aniest (09-02-2022), barkerlakebob (09-02-2022), gzink (09-02-2022)

Thx guys. I have PoT, also executor. I'll start with the 1-800 number...

6. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Purdom234

Aniest (09-02-2022), Big-Boss-Man (09-02-2022), Rory McCanuck (09-02-2022)

Banned
    []voip phone systembecame a searcher,wanting to discover who i was and what made me precise. my view of myself turned into changing. i desired a stable base to start from. i commenced to resist3 stress to behave in ways that i didn’t like any greater,and i used to be delighted by who i in reality become. i got here to feel a good deal extra sure that no one can ever take my region.
    Last edited by blacksmithden; 09-17-2022 at 11:12 AM.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Sprayed him with my can of "Bot-B-Gone" and took his link out. Take that !!!
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

9. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

GTW (09-17-2022), Rory McCanuck (09-17-2022), Swingerguy (09-17-2022)

What timing, we are currently going thru this also! My brother has POA as he is in BC and we are only for 20% of the year. You need the death cert to start the transfer process, my brother got it on a Tuesday morning and phoned Miramichi, the RCís where phoning him by 2pm.

The first call was - We need access to the house to secure restricted firearms that may not be stored properly. Bro held his cool, assured them that they where secured in a fashion far exceeding legal requirements, the paperwork was started and the answer was no. They phoned daily asking for proof the transfer was started and needing to access the farm, he repeatedly gave them the file number and kept them at arms length but they obviously have no intentions of following up in NB.

I havenít heard anything so I assume all went well, I will follow up with a text to him and update the threadÖÖ.

I have no advice on the transfer, just wanted to say sorry to hear that about your dad.
    In spite of all of man's grandiose achievements, he owes his continued existence to six inches of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

12. The Following User Liked This Post By R&R Rancher

Swingerguy (09-18-2022)