Talley Lightweights

I have been a fan of Talley lightweights for years, running them on nearly everything. And for the most part, they absolutely great. Until today...

So as part of getting ready for the sheep opener, I figured I treat myself to a scope upgrade from my Leupold V3Xi to a Swarovski Z3. Unfortunately when I went to sight it in, I ran out of windage leaving me about 6 inches right at 100 yards. That simply won't do! Turns out the Swarovski has about 15 MOA less windage adjustment than the Leupold.

So the rest of the morning was spent measuring the american made Weatherby Mark V Ultralight very carefully. Mounting holes were all true for the scope mounts. The barrel was true to the receiver. Scope tube was not damaged. The problem was the rings. They were misaligned from the bore by about 28 MOA. Check the Leupold scope that came off, and it only had 6 more clicks to go before it maxed out. So I replaced the rings with a picatinny rail and MDT rings. No more issues.

I find this interesting because Talley says you don't need to lap their rings. So I tried it and they were actually reasonably aligned with one another. Mounting a longer piece of 1 inch shaft in the rings clearly illustrated that while the rings were mostly in line with one another, they weren't in line with the bore.

What a frustrating way to spend a morning.

Funny... I ran out of windage on my swarovski z5 scope last weekend on my howa and I was thinking the talley rings were to blame
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Just switched out the low rings to the med height rings that I ordered at the same time, seem to be more on the ball - at least by bore sight it looks like it'll work.

I had good results with a leupold and talleys on my xbolt, was hoping for another home run.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    28moa...wow. I dont think lapping was going to fix that much "WTF". Good on you for methodically going through it to find the issue.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!