Small rifle magnum and small pistol magnum primers - Can you you use either or?

The jury seems to be out as to if you can use small rifle magnum primers in place of small pistol magnum primers. I've heard that they are essentially the same primer with a minor difference being how soft the primer cup is.
    Has anyone had any experience good or bad in doing this?
    I just got my hands on a Winchester 1873 in .357 magnum and have small rifle magnum primers that I was thinking of using only because I can't find primers anywhere.

SR and SPM are very similar. SRM and SPM primers are definitely different. You can probably get away with it since you are going down a level in pressure, but I would just wait until you can buy something else.

I'd ask around at your range, a lot of people looking for sr, may trade. It it wasn't for shipping, I'd trade a few hundred just to get you going.

Do you need to use Magnum primers at all?
    Previously- Rivetc78 from CGN

Quote Originally Posted by Sabio View Post
    Do you need to use Magnum primers at all?
    For .357 magnum loads that's what load data calls for.

Lots...Tons... decades of load data without Magnum primers
    Previously- Rivetc78 from CGN

Quote Originally Posted by Sabio View Post
    Lots...Tons... decades of load data without Magnum primers
    Everything that I have calls for magnum primers for the .357...maybe I need to do some digging.

Published load data is just a record of what they did, not what it possible. The powders I use for 357 pretty much require a magnum primer, but not all do.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
    Published load data is just a record of what they did, not what it possible. The powders I use for 357 pretty much require a magnum primer, but not all do.
    Nearly everything that I have found calls for magnum primers. And it's about 50/50 as to if small rifle primers will work in place of the magnum primers. The biggest concern being if your firing pin is strong enough to ignite the primer.
    i'm pretty sure the hammer spring in this rifle is strong enough to ignite the primer. I may load a couple and run them through my chronograph and see what the velocity difference is.