Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)

Hunting scope question

If you had a nothing special about it hunting rifle in 308 win given to you. It's only ever going to be a backup. You wanted to put a standard 3x9x40 scope on it. The scope must maintain zero within "minute of the side of a deer". The optical clarity has to be "see a deer in the bush" quality. After it's zeroed, the windage and elevation adjustments will never be touched again. You've got $300 to spend. What would you go with ?
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    October 21 2022 - Liberals ban all handgun sales and transfers in Canada via order in council - NEVER FORGET !!!

Cabelas

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/14824...500-riflescope

Wait for this to go on sale. I picked one up close to the $300 mark last year, at that price it’s astoundingly good.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

4. The Following User Liked This Post By kennymo

Rory McCanuck (11-24-2022)

Whatever the modern equivalent of the bushnell 3200 is.

6. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By JustBen

awndray (11-24-2022), kennymo (11-24-2022), M1917 Enfield (11-24-2022), Rory McCanuck (11-24-2022)

The Leupold VX 1 scope, hands down. (Random, 1st thing pops up on DuckDuckGo search): ht tps://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/leupold-vx-1-3-9-x-40-rifle-scope-1750814p.html

They sometimes go on sale at Prophet River for $229.00. Not sure if they will this year, but Black Friday might find a deal.

I would not put any other scope in a bracket of quality this high, up to and including, scopes of $300-500. I have two of them, moved from gun to gun, including a few that either due to action type or large caliber, have "shook loose" scopes up to $800 and the VX1s are still flawless.
    Anything and everything I post that is not a quote, link and/or attributable to another source is my personal opinion only and no entity(s) and/or person(s) can be held liable for it for any reason unless they are the author of said opinion, link, quote and/or attributable comment; and nothing I post may be shared, spread and/or quoted outside of this website without my legal authorization unless covered by the end user agreement, terms of use, policy and/or rules of this website.

8. The Following User Liked This Post By Aniest

lone-wolf (11-24-2022)

Second vote for Bushnell at that price point.
    "It is an absolute truism that law-abiding, armed citizens pose no threat to other law-abiding citizens."

Ammo, camo and things that go "blammo".

“That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.” ― George Orwell

10. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Camo tung

M1917 Enfield (11-24-2022), Rory McCanuck (11-24-2022), spider69 (11-27-2022)

My vote is leupold vx1 as well. Been working well on my xbolt.
    Forgiving eyebox & eye relief.
    More money to spend, I'd like to try the 2.5-8x vx3hd line

Nikon prostaff 5, 2.5-10x, was an excellent scope too
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Interested in a Nikon 3-9 "Coyote Special"? I might have a spare one laying around. I could ship it in a 55L food-grade twist-cap poly barrel for $300!

Another Leupold vote, even the VX Freedom 3-9x40 CDS on the Tikka has been very, very nice for the price point. Punches well above it’s weight class……

064778ED-7CA1-42FF-A8F9-DCEF092F9AF0.jpg

Buy a 3-9 power Bushnell Trophy or Legend, you can often get them for under $200 and they come with a Bushnell lifetime warranty! They also have a warranty centre in Canada.

COVERAGE YOU CAN COUNT ON

All Bushnell products are engineered to deliver to your expectation and manufactured to withstand the rigors of the outdoors for the lifetime of the product. In the event that our product fails you, we will stand behind it and repair it at no cost to you. If we can’t repair it then we will replace it with a product of equal or better value. No receipt required and fully transferable.

*All Bushnell® products carry a product lifetime warranty against defects in workmanship or materials. Product lifetime is defined as 30 years for Riflescopes, 20 years for binoculars and spotters, 5 years for electro-optics and electronic components (laser rangefinders, red dot sights, reflex sights, speed gun radars, night vision) and 2 years for trail cams.

Try here for a bunch on clearance - https://higginsonpowders.com/images/...IFLESCOPES.pdf
    Warning! some sarcasm, facetious and jovial behavior, satire, irony, dry humor, playful banter and more may or may not be involved in my postings. Please read anything I have written as being said in the most joyful and happy voice you can possibly imagine.

To whom it may concern: I hereby declare I am not responsible for any of the debts or liabilities incurred by the dim witted one known as Justin Trudeau!

15. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By M1917 Enfield

Camo tung (11-25-2022), spider69 (11-27-2022)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast