Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Petamocto View Post
    I wish I lived close to you so I could invite you over, because these are the sorts of questions that can’t be easily answered by text on message boards.

They require hours and hours of conversations and getting out to see things. If anything, you need someone really knowledgeable to go with you to Cabela’s or another big gun store to lay everything out in front of you to see and touch.

Online reviews and pics are not reliable, for example, all 9mm handguns may look high quality online, but see them all in person and a Ruger SR9 will look like garbage, a Glock will look okay, a Walther will look great, and a CZ will look amazing.

Rifles and shotguns are the same, in that anything less than $500 will likely be junk, getting closer to $1000 is getting nicer, and amazing rifles are generally $2000+ with some exceptions.

Even then, you still have to go hold them yourself to know what you like. Something like an SKS may sound good on paper, then you pick the thing up and realize it has the worst (straight) grip angle that feels terrible for your wrist.

I wish you the best of luck. Make some friend in a gun club or something, and you’ll find that they’re generally helpful people.
    thanks, I have started to find store around Toronto and have started to visit them to see/hold the firearms and yes I am not looking to buy the cheapest one, wants something durable that will last me a long time and willing to pay for that.

Is there a range around your area that you can "rent" a gun ?
    I know it is quite expensive to pay like $10 for 3 rounds of shotgun slugs/buck shots, but it will let you have some hands on the different type of weapons and that might give you some idea on what you want.
    There are a few "types" of shotgun, combat/tactical, hunting, sports shooting (skeet/trap etc) and it is best you decide on what you want to do before you buy. Like some had point out, a Mossberg 590 is probably not the best skeet or trap gun.

3. The Following User Liked This Post By wai556

akimiski (11-28-2022)

don't give the cabela's guys too much credit. there's a good chance they don't know much more than you do

5. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By MKivSupra

akimiski (11-28-2022), Rory McCanuck (11-29-2022)

There are no stupid questions. Keep it simple, stick to the more common calibers 22lr, 223, 243, 270, 308, 3006. These calibers are easy to find at can. tire and walmart. Budget friendly guns( savage axis, tikka t3 etc) will kill deer, moose and elk just as well as the expensive guns. Don't over think this stuff, have fun and welcome the club.
    Liberal party of Canada-Useless since 1867

7. The Following 5 Users Like This Post By murph83

akimiski (11-28-2022), Aniest (11-29-2022), blacksmithden (11-28-2022), Purdom234 (11-29-2022), Rory McCanuck (11-29-2022)

as a matter of fact, two customers at the store were giving me better tips than the store employee who was trying to stick to showing me what I asked to be pulled from the cabinet and answering only the questions I had. chatting to owners is best so will be looking for those opportunities.

9. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By akimiski

Aniest (11-29-2022), Rory McCanuck (11-29-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by MKivSupra View Post
    don't give the cabela's guys too much credit. there's a good chance they don't know much more than you do
    as a matter of fact, two customers at the store were giving me better tips than the store employee who was trying to stick to showing me what I asked to be pulled from the cabinet and answering only the questions I had. chatting to owners is best so will be looking for those opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by murph83 View Post
    There are no stupid questions. Keep it simple, stick to the more common calibers 22lr, 223, 243, 270, 308, 3006. These calibers are easy to find at can. tire and walmart. Budget friendly guns( savage axis, tikka t3 etc) will kill deer, moose and elk just as well as the expensive guns. Don't over think this stuff, have fun and welcome the club.
    today I looked at Tikka T3X and liked the feel, I am thinking I am going to go for it, maybe with 308 or 6.5 creed more (for the recoil and long range accuracy) since I will be looking for practice on the range with that (once I am able to find a range and secure a spot for membership), every range I looked it are at full capacity in Ontario around GTA.

For the shotgun, can anyone help me determine f I should be looking for pump action first or just get the semi auto? primarily use will be target practice, secondary use would be hunting

Quote Originally Posted by wai556 View Post
    Is there a range around your area that you can "rent" a gun ?
    I know it is quite expensive to pay like $10 for 3 rounds of shotgun slugs/buck shots, but it will let you have some hands on the different type of weapons and that might give you some idea on what you want.
    There are a few "types" of shotgun, combat/tactical, hunting, sports shooting (skeet/trap etc) and it is best you decide on what you want to do before you buy. Like some had point out, a Mossberg 590 is probably not the best skeet or trap gun.
    thanks for the tips, all ranges I searched around Toronto are membership only and there seems to be wait time and they all seems to state that you have to bring your own firearm. I will keep looking but if anyone has any range suggestions then please feel free to share.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by akimiski View Post
    today I looked at Tikka T3X and liked the feel, I am thinking I am going to go for it, maybe with 308 or 6.5 creed more (for the recoil and long range accuracy) since I will be looking for practice on the range with that (once I am able to find a range and secure a spot for membership), every range I looked it are at full capacity in Ontario around GTA.

For the shotgun, can anyone help me determine f I should be looking for pump action first or just get the semi auto? primarily use will be target practice, secondary use would be hunting
    Its up to you. Just be aware that some semi auto shotguns dont always cycle with some light loads. You'll never have that problem with a pump action. I have a semi auto but I find I shoot my Remington 870 pump 99% of the time. Its just what Im used to.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    October 21 2022 - Liberals ban all handgun sales and transfers in Canada via order in council - NEVER FORGET !!!

14. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

akimiski (11-28-2022), Aniest (11-29-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Its up to you. Just be aware that some semi auto shotguns dont always cycle with some light loads. You'll never have that problem with a pump action. I have a semi auto but I find I shoot my Remington 870 pump 99% of the time. Its just what Im used to.
    that's what I have been reading as well, as it's going to be my first shotgun, I am going to go with pump action, likely Benelli SuperNova with telescopic stock.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast