Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    You might not save money now reloading, but you can make more accurate ammo (With lots of time/learning/experimentation). Like harbl mentioned, the price of stuff only goes up so if you buy components now, you save later and have more accurate ammo. I have enough components to make at least a couple of thousand rounds of each of the calibers I shoot. And I’ll shoot it at 1/5 of the cost of factory ammo now. Also, the factory ammo and/or components might not be around when you need it in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by akimiski View Post
    What’s the cost different between buying ammo vs reloading yourself? 25% saving or 50% or 75%?
    For me, tailoring the ammunition to the firearm and the animal hunted has always been the primary reason. I shoot 125grain, 168grain and 220 grain Sierra bullets hand loaded from the same .308 rifle and scope. It took a few years to get the right combination of primers, powders, bullet crimp and bullet seating depth to get the same windage (left-right) point of aim from every one. The 125grain and 168grain are about 1 MOA, while the 220 grain is about 6 MOA, but the 220's are for under 50 yard shots only.

Which mean my second reason for hand loading: a unique, challenging and rewarding hobby could be practiced.

Lastly has been cost. Reloading to save money is for when you are shooting a lot, in my opinion. A very lot. But that also requires the initial money to pay for expensive progressive presses that put you a half step below a small commercial reloading business. Calibers for competitions out of semi-automatic firearms like 12guage, 223, 308, 9mm, and a few other handgun calibers are the main ones, where you're expected weekend of competition (friendly and up to Pro) is 200 rounds of 12guage, 200 rounds of rifle and 400 rounds of handgun. Go to 6 competitions in a year and 6000 rounds of ammo gets expensive.
    Last edited by Aniest; 11-30-2022 at 09:50 PM.
    Anything and everything I post that is not a quote, link and/or attributable to another source is my personal opinion only and no entity(s) and/or person(s) can be held liable for it for any reason unless they are the author of said opinion, link, quote and/or attributable comment; and nothing I post may be shared, spread and/or quoted outside of this website without my legal authorization unless covered by the end user agreement, terms of use, policy and/or rules of this website.

3. The Following User Liked This Post By Aniest

ESnel (11-30-2022)

There's another dimension to reloading nobody mentions but everyone thinks about... the usefulness of reloading as a skill in the event of TEOTWAWKI... which for those of us who have been into guns and reloading for a while... has just happened.

The idea being if there was every a truly apocalyptic "end of the world" kind of scenario, reloading would be one of the most valuable skills to have - especially if the grid fails and supply chains collapse.

That was one thing I hadn't considered pre-COVID: having something to do when you're board as TSHTF.

One of the things that kept me sane during the lockdowns and vaccine mandates was reloading... especially case prep.

When you're not allowed to go out and do anything because you're not vaccinated, sorting 50k pieces of .223 brass by headstamp is a really good way to pass the time.

I spent as much time just sorting brass as most people did watching Netflix, YouTube or going on TikTok during the lockdowns... It was time very well spent.
    "Father Time is undefeated. He's lost to nobody. Not even Mother Nature."

What’s the cost different between buying ammo vs reloading yourself? 25% saving or 50% or 75%?
    This was quite a while ago, but I got a Lee kit on sale for $100.
    I got components to make 100 rounds for another $100.
    Store bought was costing me $2 a shot, so when I was through the box of bullets and primers, the equipment had paid for itself, and I still had about 1/3 of a pound of powder left.
    Then I decided I really enjoyed reloading, and went pretty stupid buying equipment.
    If I 'save' much more, I'll be living out of a cardboard box.

The biggest thing was, it got me out shooting.
    When all you have is a box of ammo, you don't want to go shooting because then you'll be out.
    Now, when I shoot everything up, I get to go to the reloading bench and play Mad Scientist.

*I just checked Cabela's.
    The Lee kit is on for $200 now, and the ammo I was shooting isn't even available (444 Marlin) but the same ammo is available in 45-70 (very similar)
    $90 for a box of 20
    So, the math still works out to about the same ratio, just with a whole bunch more dollars involved.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

6. The Following User Liked This Post By Rory McCanuck

3MTA3 (12-10-2022)

Heh yeah I started with a lee loadmaster kit that came with 45 acp and 223 dies and 100 of each bullet. $200 USD for the lot. X-mas deal south of the border. On the way back I declared it and they waved me through! I thought the projectiles would cause a stir but apparently not (at least that one time).

8. The Following User Liked This Post By Smc

Rory McCanuck (12-02-2022)

"Don't buy plastic guns, it's going to be hard to find parts of an Italian gun,
    Any parts you need for Benelli, Beretta, Franchi are all at https://www.stoegercanada.ca/ https://www.stoegercanada.ca/parts/

Never had any issues with ordering parts from them!

10. The Following User Liked This Post By mikpen14

Aniest (12-01-2022)

Except they ship via UPS, which is basically a crime.

12. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By awndray

Aniest (12-01-2022), Smc (11-30-2022)

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345