Leupold VX-R Zombie 1.25-4x20

Went looking for a low power scope for my AR15. Phil at P&D is a great guy, my wife hates him, he talked me into this It's only $30 more than the Patrol version, which has similar features, but the Zombie comes with aluminum flip-ups and 2 elevation knobs, as well as a green lit dot instead of a red lit on the Patrol. Leupold has partnered with Hornady, and in particular with their Zombie Max ammo, the elevation knobs are calibrated to work with the ZMax .223 and .308 ammo. I know Zombie is 'all the rage with the kids', I find it sorta cool but on the other hand bought it for the features, not the marketing.

The green side knob is a push button for the lit reticle. There are iirc 6 brightness settings, from barely visible in room lighting all the way up to very bright even in daylight. Press and hold to turn off.

There are 3 set-screws to change the elevation knobs.

The flip ups are basic Leupold on the outside, but on the inside....

Bait! Here, zombie zombie zombie

Aim -here-

Burris PEPR QR mount. The mount comes with 2 sets of upper half rings, one with rail one without. I'm going to put my red dot up top until I can get my hands on a canted rail mount - nobody in town has one.

Leupold includes the following warning....

As I just finished mounting it, I haven't had it out on the range yet. Hopefully later in the week, weather permitting.
    What? I can have a SIGNATURE?

Cool stuff. I assume it will perform like the regular VX-R Patrol scope?

Yes, Phil @ P&D ran me through the Patrol, this is essentially the same thing except the green lit dot in the reticle. First impression, I can see it easier than a red.

Red Deer Shooting Centre 50calshooter's Avatar
    Man Im loving your progress RH, that thing looks more and more nicer everyday!

I also enjoy your posts keep em' coming!
    Red Deer Shooting Centre
    403-347-2232
    www.rdsc.ca
    info@rdsc.ca
    SHOP ONLINE!

I busted/stripped a screw in the mount of my Sparc, so the low mount is on there but I need the high to clear the Leup turret. Not sure how to go about getting it out, the screw is cheap aluminum and soft. I may just drill it out and go with 3 screws from mount to optic.

Paint warning---> Thank god. Id be taking off that zombie stuff in a heartbeat.

Also, my friend called hornady (since he bought some zmax projectiles).....apparently, they are identical to the vmax except for the colour of the tip.
    Last edited by Onagoth; 04-18-2012 at 11:47 AM.
    "The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- (Thomas Jefferson)

Nice scope. I was considering Leupold's VXR scope for another AR build. This thread convinced me that I should proceed.Thanks for posting. Nice rifle too.

Hey Redhouse, how are you enjoying your Patrol scope. I am in the process of getting one and am looking around for a mount. What did you use on your AR? Are you happy with it?
    Thanks.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes an act of rebellion."
    - George Orwell

Any pictures of the reticule available?

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes an act of rebellion."
    - George Orwell