Inexpensive AR Mag Fed .223 Bolt Guns

I have two Mossberg MVP's and a Ruger American Predator.

Off a lightweight bag, I can get about 1-1.5 MOA accuracy with 69 grain Sierra Match King's with 19.4 grains of IMR-4198, Federal Match Small Rifle Primers for each of them.

Cabela's had a Boxing Day sale on the Ruger American Ranch for $700, and I scrounged up my Gun Sale float to pick one up and a 4-16x42 Vortex Diamond Back that was also on sale.

2022-12-29_16-12-48.jpg

2022-12-29_16-15-36.jpg

I don't care for the tan (and will Krylon it OD in the spring).

I'm also going to spring for another one of these Timber Creek Blast Can / Muzzle brake combo's.

2022-12-29_16-14-50.jpg

I actually find it really fun to sight in with my bulk reloaded 55 grain loads, work out turret adjustments for my 69 gn SMK load, then shoot 3x 5 shot groups: 1 with the bulk reloads, 1 with the 69's, and 1 with the bulk reloads again, dialing in the scope between each groups.

I've shot the MVP's and Predator out to 500 meters no problem, but I won't be renewing my range membership at my 500 meter range (I got a membership at a closer range with a 300 yard range that's a shorter drive).

Anyone else run a .223 bolt gun that runs AR mags?

Are there any others besides the MVP, Predator and Ranch?

I like the action on the MVP's much better than the Predator and Ranch (I think they're the same action, actually), but I find the trigger a touch nicer on the Predator/Ranch...
    While you were living through COVID, I was living through lockdowns.

The BCL offering has ar15 magazines, and the cz 600 trail takes them as well, they're not expensive rifles but they're not sub $1k either
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By lone-wolf

firemachine69 (12-30-2022), harbl_the_cat (12-29-2022)

Any reason you don't get a man's caliber since you're already reloading? ? Minimum a .308?
    "Power attracts the Worse and corrupts the Best"

“In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds the timid join him for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain

I wonder what happens to these types of AR magazine bolt action rifles when Dear Leader and his merry band of misfit MP's like Marco follow through with their promised soon upcoming ban on all rifles and shotguns that use certain types of removable magazines that originally were capable of holding more than 5 rounds?

Do they also become prohibited firearms in Canada?

I guess if they can name and ban a whole brand of all side by side shotguns from a manufacturer who ceased to exist nearly 100 years ago (Parker Bros) because they made 10 gauge shotguns then no guns with any link to features the Lieberals want banned are safe anymore.

Same deal with their listing and banning Ruger No.1's or Brazilian Mausers or Mauser sporters because someone once (not even Ruger) rechambered one to .460 Weatherby Mag or the 27,092 Joule .600 Overkill.

BTW, The .600 Overkill is a big game hunting rifle cartridge designed to fit in the CZ-550 magnum action, by American Hunting Rifles. The action of the CZ 550 series of bolt action rifles is based on the Mauser M98 controlled-feed bolt action system which it copies.

"Bill C-21 was proposed originally as legislation to ban only assault type rifles like AR-15's in Canada, but an amendment introduced by the government last month added language that would create an "evergreen definition" of "assault-style" firearms banned by Ottawa.

That definition includes two measures put forward by the government through earlier regulations in 2020: a limit on muzzle energy and bore diameter, and a new rule banning semi-automatic rifles or shotguns designed or able to accept a detachable or fixed magazine with a capacity greater than five cartridges.

Bill C-21 proposes expanding that to certain long guns — rifles and shotguns — be added to the list of banned or prohibited firearms, including some bolt actions and those that are able to accept detachable magazines with a capacity of more than five rounds as well as some semi-automatic firearms that don't have detachable magazines but still hold or are capable of holding more than five cartridges like SKS's.

The government also introduced a list that included thousands of identified models that were covered by the ban — many of them firearms that have neither removable magazines or are semi-auto and are currently frequently used for hunting or sport shooting."
    Warning! some sarcasm, facetious and jovial behavior, satire, irony, dry humor, playful banter and more may or may not be involved in my postings. Please read anything I have written as being said in the most joyful and happy voice you can possibly imagine.

To whom it may concern: I hereby declare I am not responsible for any of the debts or liabilities incurred by the dim witted one known as Justin Trudeau!

6. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By M1917 Enfield

Aniest (12-30-2022), SwissArmyMan (12-30-2022)

Add the CZ 600 Trail to the list of bolt-action rifles that can use AR magazines.

https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-600-trail/

8. The Following User Liked This Post By Two For Sure

harbl_the_cat (12-30-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by SwissArmyMan View Post
    Any reason you don't get a man's caliber since you're already reloading? ? Minimum a .308?
    I have 3x .308's as well.

I like to shoot a lot, and only have components for about 3.5k rounds of .308.

I have enough components for 5x that many rounds of .223.

Here's my Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 with the Magpul Hunter Stock... scary...

2022-12-30_20-16-29.jpg

Here's my first Mossberg MVP Patrol in .223...

2022-12-30_20-14-57.jpg

Everyone at this range hate my color palette...
    Last edited by harbl_the_cat; 12-30-2022 at 09:18 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By harbl_the_cat

Aniest (12-31-2022), SwissArmyMan (12-30-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by M1917 Enfield View Post
    I wonder what happens to these types of AR magazine bolt action rifles when Dear Leader and his merry band of misfit MP's like Marco follow through with their promised soon upcoming ban on all rifles and shotguns that use certain types of removable magazines that originally were capable of holding more than 5 rounds?

Do they also become prohibited firearms in Canada?

I guess if they can name and ban a whole brand of all side by side shotguns from a manufacturer who ceased to exist nearly 100 years ago (Parker Bros) because they made 10 gauge shotguns then no guns with any link to features the Lieberals want banned are safe anymore.

Same deal with their listing and banning Ruger No.1's or Brazilian Mausers or Mauser sporters because someone once (not even Ruger) rechambered one to .460 Weatherby Mag or the 27,092 Joule .600 Overkill.

BTW, The .600 Overkill is a big game hunting rifle cartridge designed to fit in the CZ-550 magnum action, by American Hunting Rifles. The action of the CZ 550 series of bolt action rifles is based on the Mauser M98 controlled-feed bolt action system which it copies.

"Bill C-21 was proposed originally as legislation to ban only assault type rifles like AR-15's in Canada, but an amendment introduced by the government last month added language that would create an "evergreen definition" of "assault-style" firearms banned by Ottawa.

That definition includes two measures put forward by the government through earlier regulations in 2020: a limit on muzzle energy and bore diameter, and a new rule banning semi-automatic rifles or shotguns designed or able to accept a detachable or fixed magazine with a capacity greater than five cartridges.

Bill C-21 proposes expanding that to certain long guns — rifles and shotguns — be added to the list of banned or prohibited firearms, including some bolt actions and those that are able to accept detachable magazines with a capacity of more than five rounds as well as some semi-automatic firearms that don't have detachable magazines but still hold or are capable of holding more than five cartridges like SKS's.

The government also introduced a list that included thousands of identified models that were covered by the ban — many of them firearms that have neither removable magazines or are semi-auto and are currently frequently used for hunting or sport shooting."
    I expect the new liberal fairy tale gun ban term to be "Military style assault snipper rifles"
    Last edited by harbl_the_cat; 12-30-2022 at 09:19 PM.

12. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By harbl_the_cat

Aniest (12-31-2022), M1917 Enfield (12-30-2022)

I used to have a Mossberg MVP, that took AR-10 and M14 mags- along with a Ruger ranch in 5.56. The Ranch would shoot 1" groups at 100 m using reloads. Too bad I lost them. I might be able to borrow a friends to test fire. I have heard the MVP's are decently accurate.
    Last edited by 3MTA3; 01-02-2023 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Not AI mags-
    "You Cannot Comply Your Way Out of Tyranny"

MVP Patrol in 308 shoots nicely-used a scope off a Savage Axis, to fire a few rounds at 100m, <5/8" 3 shots Mossberg_1st_Group.jpg
    Mossberg_1st_Group_target.jpg
    "You Cannot Comply Your Way Out of Tyranny"

15. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By 3MTA3

6MT (01-02-2023), Aniest (01-02-2023), harbl_the_cat (01-08-2023)