CNC machining parts

I did a search for CNC and found nothing, so, I'm hearing more and more about CNC machined parts and guns, especially from the U.S. I don't know exactly what changes are going to take place down there, if any, any time soon, but it seems there's concern about losing the AR15, among others, and people are coming up with creative workarounds. The 80% lower was one, but now I'm seeing 0% lowers being machined by CNC desktop machines out of just a block of aluminum. Does anyone have any experience with these machines, or CNC experience in general that would be useful to a fella who wants to know how this works?

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by 460_smith View Post
    I did a search for CNC and found nothing, so, I'm hearing more and more about CNC machined parts and guns, especially from the U.S. I don't know exactly what changes are going to take place down there, if any, any time soon, but it seems there's concern about losing the AR15, among others, and people are coming up with creative workarounds. The 80% lower was one, but now I'm seeing 0% lowers being machined by CNC desktop machines out of just a block of aluminum. Does anyone have any experience with these machines, or CNC experience in general that would be useful to a fella who wants to know how this works?
    Desk top machines ? I guess those cnc routers could do it given enough time. If I was going into the cnc "home gamer" level stuff, Id at least be looking at a Tormach mill. At least their lower level stuff has 'some' rigidity to it. Remember this though. The AR15 is officially on the prohib list. Making one is going to get you a pretty hard wack on the pee pee if the street gang with badges finds out. SO....since discussing illegal activity is against the rules, we'll be talking about building single shot Cooey replicas from here on out, RIGHT ?!?!
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    October 21 2022 - Liberals ban all handgun sales and transfers in Canada via order in council - NEVER FORGET !!!

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By blacksmithden

Camo tung (01-22-2023), SIR VEYOR (01-23-2023)

There is a home machinist thread on here, but it’s kinda for more advanced users. And some assorted 3D printer threads here.

However, you’ve over complicated your approach.

Like the AK47, also prohibited, the AR is relatively simplistic. There are many examples of homemade lowers and more made from just flat stock. Be it wood, plastic or metal sheets of various thicknesses. More than just a shovel like the AK is required, but fairly straightforward.

AR15.com would have lots of stuff like that, especially because it’s not illegal down there.

Personally, I’d much rather look at making something like the Ljutic Space Gun, but possibly update it to have an increased capacity and maybe auto loading features.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ljutic_Space_Gun

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Desk top machines ? I guess those cnc routers could do it given enough time. If I was going into the cnc "home gamer" level stuff, Id at least be looking at a Tormach mill. At least their lower level stuff has 'some' rigidity to it. Remember this though. The AR15 is officially on the prohib list. Making one is going to get you a pretty hard wack on the pee pee if the street gang with badges finds out. SO....since discussing illegal activity is against the rules, we'll be talking about building single shot Cooey replicas from here on out, RIGHT ?!?!
    As far as legality goes, the Powers That Be have decided that a manufacturer's license is required to make any firearm. Apparently C-21 would make it an offence to possess a computer program that could be used to make a gun. There is more to a firearm than a CNC machined or printed receiver; there have been discussions about controlling parts.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by weasel View Post
    As far as legality goes, the Powers That Be have decided that a manufacturer's license is required to make any firearm. Apparently C-21 would make it an offence to possess a computer program that could be used to make a gun. There is more to a firearm than a CNC machined or printed receiver; there have been discussions about controlling parts.
    Where does it say you need a manufacturing license to manufacture a one off gun for yourself ? Im not saying this isnt the case. I just remember that you had to notify the gravel road cops once the reciever was 80% on restricted stuff.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    October 21 2022 - Liberals ban all handgun sales and transfers in Canada via order in council - NEVER FORGET !!!

RCMP say the manufacturing of firearms without the appropriate business licence is illegal.
    -- Sept 2020, https://chvnradio.com/articles/rcmp-...-investigation

vs

The Firearms Act requires a business or organization to be licensed to have, sell, or manufacture ammunition.
    A business, museum or organization needs a firearms business licence to possess, manufacture, or sell {ammunition, firearms, restricted weapons, prohibited weapons, prohibited devices} The licence is only valid for the activities specified on it.
    -- https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firear...ing-businesses

I also thought you could produce your own firearm, not for sale, without any special license. I'm pretty sure that used to be the case not so long ago.
    As we all know, just because the rcmp says something, doesn’t make it law. It could however make it expensive to prove it's not a law.

9. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Swingerguy

blacksmithden (01-23-2023), firemachine69 (01-24-2023), Rory McCanuck (01-24-2023)