Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: GOC Letters

They may be getting a lot of physical spam from me now in the form of paper letters
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Just drafted this letter to my MP with regard to the Swiss Arms issue. Proof read and suggestions?

Mr. Warkentin,

I write to you today with a heart both heavy and enraged. I believed I lived in a country where freedom was valued. A country where the government and government organizations acted on behalf of the citizen and not on their own agendas. A country where the national police were a matter of patriotic pride. Apparently I was naive in my belief. It would appear that this country is run by a a few people with an agenda who are backed up by one of the largest gangs in the world, that national police force. The RCMP is no longer a matter of pride but a corrupt organization that deliberately infringes on the rights and freedoms of citizens.
    What has caused my consternation? The recent reclassification of the Swiss Arms Classic Green rifle. This rifle, until now, was classified as a non-restricted firearm. This meant that it could carried and used anywhere firearms were permitted, and wasn't limited to use at a range such as the restricted class of firearms. Being non-restricted, these firearms are no longer required to be registered. However, the RCMP have since reclassified it as prohibited.
    For your references, here is the entire story complete with technical explanation:

http://www.theshootingcentre.com/sans-overview

They are demanding that the firearms currently in Canada be surrendered immediately. They will not be offering any compensation, meaning the owners are not only having their rifle stolen from them, but are also on the hook for the $3000 - $4000 or more that they paid for it. The RCMP are saying to contact the distributors for reimbursement. Not only is that insulting, but it's clear the RCMP don't have a clue how the retail sector operates. A distributor is not going to shell out thousands of dollars to customers because of a power tripping government organization.

As it stands, Ed Burlew, as well known firearms law lawyer is currently putting togethe a class action for detrimental reliance against the RCMP who have caused all owners to have a loss with out compensation. The loss is the present value of what was paid or the value on the market. This is easily documented by retail receipt or by the market price for a new or used gun. The compensation sought will be that value. The owners relied on the opinion of the RCMP as was stated in the FRT for a decade. Now their sudden change of mind has destroyed the value of the gun. The class action will seek compensation for any and all owners who have surrendered their Swiss Arms rifle.

In all the years this rifle has been in Canada, there has never been a single issue with it. No one has gone on a shooting rampage. No one has been hurt using one. All that has happened is some gun owners taking these guns out and having some fun target shooting with them. This prohibition is an act of emotion as well of one of illegal government control. Under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, every citizen has the right to be secure against unreasonable search and seizure. This prohibition falls under unreasonable seizure. Expect there to be multiple challenges in court of this, declaring a Charter violation

Here's another reason this prohibition isn't for public safety and is instead an act of confiscation without cause. This gun was non-restricted up until now, which as I said earlier, means it no longer needed to be registered. Where are these guns now? Who owns them? The RCMP surely don't know. Their little act of prohibition simply stops any new Swiss Arms Classic Green rifles from entering Canada. Good luck finding all the ones currently in the hands of Canadian gun owners. It's simply a matter of "Swiss Arms? Sorry, don't know. Sold it a couple years ago. Nope, don't remember to who." Prove that person is lying. The RCMP likely know this. Therefore, that stands to reason that this was simply an effort to circumvent Canadian law, and disarm the populace.
    This form of arbitrary regulation change with no consultation of actual industry professionals is unacceptable and a clear infringement on the rights and freedoms of Canadian citizens. This type of independent government control goes against the democratic process and has echoes of an Orwellian police state, something that I'm sure the RCMP would love. This must stop now. The RCMP must be reigned in and controlled. This is not the only time something like this has happened or the only time the RCMP has overstepped their mandate. If they're not stopped, it won't be the last. Who runs this country? The democratic voters? Or the national police force and bureaucrats operating on personal agendas?
    With this in mind, I call for the following:

1. Complete and total destruction of Bill C-68 (The Firearms Act). Rewrite a new Firearms Act with representatives from the National Firearms Association and the Canadian Shooting Sports Association as well as individual representatives from the shooting community as first hand advisers. The RCMP should not be allowed anywhere near the proceedings. Their job is to enforce the laws, not make them.
    2. Call the RCMP to task. Demand that they remain with their duties of upholding and enforcing the law, not creating laws of their own.

3. The resignation or firing of the RCMP commissioner, as well as the entire Senior Executive Committee. Clearly these people are not able to maintain the honor and integrity of our national police force. They should be replaced with those who will.
    4. Any and all firearms classifications must be performed by an independent, non-governmental body consisting of industry and sport experts who actually know what they're talking about.

5. The removal of the restricted and non-restricted firearms classes, which serve no real purpose other than to harass law abiding sport shooters.
    6. The removal of the magazine capacity limits, which once again serve no purpose and are simply a "feel good" measure enacted by the uneducated.
    7. The instant resignation or firing of Chief Firearms Officer Chris Wyatt, for conduct unbecoming a public servant due to his numerous attempts to infringe upon the rights of Canadian gun owners.
    I hope that you will be able to pass on my concerns to the government, and I hope that this country can once again return to it's core values of freedom and democracy having shaken off the tyranny presented by the RCMP.
    Last edited by FlyingHigh; 02-27-2014 at 12:19 PM.
    I'd rather make a difference than a dollar.

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    I gave it a quick once over with a few tweaks but honestly, your level of emotion had you all over the place.
    Not necessarily a bad thing in this instance...

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingHigh View Post
    Mr. Warkentin,

I write to you today with a heart both heavy and enraged. I believed I lived in a country where freedom was valued. A country where the government and government organizations acted on behalf of the citizen and not on their own agendas. A country where the national police were a matter of patriotic pride. Apparently I was naive in my belief. It now appears that this country is run by a few people with an agenda, who are backed up by one of the largest gangs in the world, that being our national police force. The RCMP is no longer a matter of pride but a corrupt organization that deliberately infringes on the rights and freedoms of citizens.
    What has caused my consternation? The recent reclassification of the Swiss Arms Classic Green rifle. This rifle, until now, was classified as a non-restricted firearm. This meant that it could be carried and used anywhere firearms were permitted. It wasn't limited to use at a government approved shooting range such as the restricted class of firearms. Being non-restricted, these firearms were no longer required to be registered. However, the RCMP have since reclassified it as prohibited.
    For your reference, here is the entire story complete with technical explanation:

http://www.theshootingcentre.com/sans-overview

The RCMP are demanding that the Swiss Arms rifles currently in Canada be surrendered immediately. They will not be offering any compensation. The owners of these rifles are not only having their rifles stolen from them, they will also be out of pocket the $3000 - $4000 or more that they paid for it. The RCMP are saying to contact the distributors for reimbursement. Not only is that insulting, but it's clear the RCMP don't have a clue how the retail sector operates. A distributor is not going to shell out thousands of dollars to customers, in some cases years after the sale, because of a power tripping government organization.

As it stands, Ed Burlew, a well known firearms lawyer is currently putting together a class action suite for detrimental reliance against the RCMP, who have caused all owners to have a loss with out compensation. The loss is the present value of what was paid or the value on the market. This is easily documented by retail receipt or by the market price for a new or used gun. The compensation sought will be that value. The owners relied on the opinion of the RCMP as was stated in the FRT for a decade. Now their sudden change of mind has destroyed the value of the gun. The class action will seek compensation for any and all owners who have surrendered their Swiss Arms rifle.

This prohibition certainly isn't for public safety reasons. In all the years this rifle has been in Canada, there has never been a single crime committed with it. No one has gone on a shooting rampage. No one has been hurt using one. In the hands of lawful firearms owners they have been employed as intended, for sport and target shooting. This prohibition is an act of illegal government control. Under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, every citizen has the right to be secure against unreasonable search and seizure. This prohibition falls under unreasonable seizure. Expect there to be multiple challenges in court of this, declaring a Charter violation

Another obvious reason this prohibition isn't intended for public safety reasons and is instead an act of confiscation without cause, is that this gun was non-restricted up until now, meaning it no longer needed to be registered. Where are these guns now? Who owns them? If the failed Long Gun Registry is indeed gone, the RCMP surely don't know. Their little act of prohibition simply stops any new Swiss Arms Classic Green rifles from entering Canada. Good luck finding all the ones currently in the hands of Canadian gun owners. It's simply a matter of "Swiss Arms? Sorry, don't know. Sold it a couple years ago. Nope, don't remember to who." Prove that person is lying. The RCMP likely know this. Therefore, that stands to reason that this was simply an effort to circumvent Canadian law, and disarm the populace.
    This form of arbitrary regulation change with no consultation of actual industry professionals is unacceptable and a clear infringement on the rights and freedoms of Canadian citizens. This type of independent government control goes against the democratic process and has echoes of an Orwellian police state, something that I'm sure the RCMP would love. This must stop now. The RCMP must be reigned in and controlled. This is not the only time something like this has happened or the only time the RCMP has overstepped their mandate. If they're not stopped, it won't be the last. Who runs this country? The democratic voters? Or the national police force and bureaucrats operating on personal agendas?
    With this in mind, I call for the following:

1. Complete and total destruction of Bill C-68 (The Firearms Act). Rewrite a new Firearms Act with representatives from the National Firearms Association and the Canadian Shooting Sports Association as well as individual representatives from the shooting community as first hand advisers. The RCMP should not be allowed anywhere near the proceedings. Their job is to enforce the laws, not make them.
    2. Call the RCMP to task. Demand that they remain with their duties of upholding and enforcing the law, not creating laws of their own.

3. The resignation or firing of the RCMP commissioner, as well as the entire Senior Executive Committee. Clearly these people are not able to maintain the honor and integrity of our national police force. They should be replaced with those who will.
    4. Any and all firearms classifications must be performed by an independent, non-governmental body consisting of industry and sport experts who actually know what they're talking about.

5. The removal of the restricted and non-restricted firearms classes, which serve no real purpose other than to harass law abiding sport shooters.
    6. The removal of the magazine capacity limits, which once again serve no purpose and are simply a "feel good" measure enacted by the uneducated.
    7. The instant resignation or firing of Chief Firearms Officer Chris Wyatt, for conduct unbecoming a public servant due to his numerous attempts to infringe upon the rights of Canadian gun owners.
    I hope that you will be able to pass on my concerns to the government, and I hope that this country can once again return to it's core values of freedom and democracy having shaken off the tyranny presented by the RCMP.
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

Thanks for the input BrotherRockeye. As for the emotion, I will admit to a bit of anger and frustration even though I don't personally own a Swiss rifle. It comes due to more than a few negative experiences with police through work and volunteering. This kinda of pushed me over the edge so to speak. My true thoughts are very much unprintable. Perhaps I'll let the letter rest for a bit and go over it with a clear mind later and rework it. Coming from a strong literature and writing background, now that I read the letter it does come across a little chaotic. Mind you, I did write it quickly and mostly as a rough draft. I'll have to work on it.
    I'd rather make a difference than a dollar.

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    I could tell you were trying to put everything down at once.
    It's all there, just needs to be polished and points made in a sequence that can be followed by someone who hasn't a clue about the topic.

your 7 points to redemption are gold!
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

Banned
    Great start, FH! I can't wait to see the final draft. Good work!

Cheers!

Folks, when writing the PM, your MP or any other official, if you're making references to the RCMP, try to include this little bit of information as a reminder.

"...we commit to preserve the peace, uphold the law and provide quality service in partnership with our communities." -- RCMP Mission Statement
    http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/about-ausujet/mission-eng.htm

Purloined letters:

I regretfully write to you with the shared concern of Canadian firearms enthusiasts, hunters, and farmers. Ever since I became a law abiding firearm owner in 2010, I have been both confused and amazed at the irrational and confusing laws the Canadian Firearms Act contains. The classification of firearms is based off of no real fact, and rather seems to have been copulated based on what looks "scary" to the average person. Not only that, but various laws such as legal barrel length, magazine capacity, and the creation of firearm "classes" have made both Canadian retailers of firearms and Canadian firearm owners jump through expensive and unnecessary hoops. The RCMP have made it quite clear through their classification, reclassification, and confiscation of firearms, that Canada is in fact a closed door police state for firearm owners.

The Liberal party of Canada decimated the Canadian shooting culture when it took the actions of criminals and blamed the law abiding firearm owner for the consequences. Instead of cracking down on the illegal firearm trade, they attacked an easier target to appease the general public; the law abiding Canadian firearm owner. The RCMP were appointed to through no oversight whatsoever, classify firearms according to the poorly and loosely written Canadian Firearms Act. These resources that have been wasted for decades overseeing law abiding firearms owners and what they can and cannot have, are staggering. These resources could have been allocated into fighting the illegal smuggling of firearms into Canada by organized crime where they are used in crimes against law abiding citizens. I am honestly appalled when I think that the government and its associated bodies would rather bully its law abiding citizens instead of fight criminals and clean up Canadian streets from the senseless crime we hear about on the news every day.

I ask that as a law abiding citizen and firearm owner, that the Conservative party of Canada work towards re-writing the Canadian Firearms Act to benefit rather than crucify the law abiding firearm owners of Canada. I also ask that work be done to remove the bureaucrats at the RCMP firearms lab and Canadian Firearms Center that continually abuse their power and bully law abiding citizens. It has been made clear to me by the problems with Canadian Firearms Officers and the RCMP that these bodies create exponentially more problems than they solve, and cost tax payer dollars.

I hope that I have made my point clear to you and that you understand the anguish that I and many others have felt as a Canadian firearm owners.

------------------------------------------------------------

From Loki 81 (Thanks!!)

Dear Right Honourable Prime Minister Stephen Harper;

It has come to my attention that there are multiple firearms reviews and potential reclassifications currently underway by the firearms lab.

The Firearms Act is allowing the persecution of law abiding productive Canadian citizens and theft of their property. There needs to be responsible firearms reform, reform that doesn't punish the law abiding, doesn't make paper criminals, and stops make work projects that allow budgets to go back to street level police work. The Firearms Lab is doing the Swiss Arms reclassification by the basis of the Firearms Act, an act that the Conservative Government promised to restructure. This reclassification has turned thousands of law-abiding owners of these rifles into criminals overnight as of February 27 2014 by reclassification of the rifle to prohibited class, and cost the public treasury a minimum of Eight Million ($8 000 000) in buy backs. If no government buy back is offered you are silently allowing the theft of Eight Million dollars of public property. The cost of Eight Million doesn't include education of the reclassification to the public and front line Policing should confiscation be required, which will spiral the cost to be several times more than Eight Million.

This Government is silently allowing this current trend of reclassification by the Firearms Lab by not restructuring the Firearms Act to a sensible law. Removal of the Firearms Act from the Criminal Code is necessary, along with the removal of mandatory minimum sentencing for licensed firearms owners. The terms “variant” and “easily converted into full automatic” can be applied to any action of firearm, manual or semi-automatic and these terms need clear lawful definition or removal from the Firearms Act. The ability to convert something into full automatic isn’t what should be punished, it is already illegal to convert a firearm to full automatic and it should be the action of conversion of a firearm that should be criminally punished, not the ability to do so. The silence of the Government on the allowance of the Firearms Lab to interpret poorly written laws, and the Government not keeping their promise to restructure the Firearms Act into sensible law is, by default, allowance of the prosecution of law abiding citizens and theft of their property.

I respectfully request that you redraft the Firearms Act as promised prior to your being elected to government. I request the redraft to remove the Firearms Act from the Criminal Code and to have balance in it so as to not punish the law abiding firearms owner with prison or confiscation of their property. With the redrafting of the Firearms Act I request that you remove the Firearms Lab from the control of the RCMP, and place control into an impartial Civilian lab with built in checks and balances with secondary Civilian oversight that has the power to veto decisions made by the Firearms Lab and investigate personnel.

Finally I request that you first take action to ensure the current lawful owners of the rifles that are currently being examined for reclassification get to keep their property and use it as they have lawfully done in the past twelve years without fear of confiscation or criminal charges, and so that they may sell it to other licensed firearms owners or pass it on to their heirs. This could be as simple and cost effective as introducing an Order In Council that the removes the SG-550 rifle and SG-551 carbine, and any variants or modified versions of them from the prohibited firearms list, should the RCMP Firearms lab rule the Swiss Arms as a variant of those rifles. This would show that you are truly on the side of lawful Farmers, Hunters, and Sport Shooters and plan to move forward with sensible Firearms Act reform in the future.

Thank you for your time and consideration into this matter. I assure you that should you act on these matters you will consolidate your voting base of One Million Seven Hundred Thousand (1 700 000) licensed Firearms owners and assure their votes for well into the future.

-----------------------------------------

As of today, the RCMP (firearms lab) has reclassified the Swiss Arms Classic Green rifle and carbine from non-restricted to prohibited. This means the RCMP will be seizing (stealing) these rifles from law-abiding firearms owners with no compensation. These rifles cost $4000.
    I thought that with a CPC government the days of arbitrary reclassifying of firearms was over. Apparently not.
    While I have long been a supporter of you and the CPC, I am starting to wonder why you deserve my vote when your party allows the RCMP to steal property from citizens merely because of the appearance of a firearm, and because the RCMP seems to not like the idea of civilian firearm ownership.
    Stephen Harper promised to scrap and rewrite the Firearms Act (C-68). If the reclassification of firearms is left in the hands of the RCMP, and no move is made to fix the many flaws in the Firearms Act, you should be aware that you are risking up to 2 million votes by alienating the firearms community.

-----------------------------------------------

While I understand that there are events relating to the essential freedom of foreign nations occupying your attention at this time, I wish to draw your attention to something happening here in Canada that has implications for the property rights of all Canadians, and hence for their freedom. The recent arbitrary reclassification of Swiss made semi- automatic rifles is yet another instance of the RCMP incompetence, being covered up after the fact, at the expense of taxpayers. These rifles were approved by the RCMP, and they were assigned their classification despite the fact that the RCMP knew that they resembled a prohibited firearm, but the RCMP didn't bother to request samples to examine. They then allowed the sale of these rifles for 12 years to anyone with a valid PAL. In those 12 years, there is no record of a Swiss Arms rifle being used in a crime, this may be due to the cost of these rifles, most owners have spent $3500-$4500 on their rifles. In 12 years the RCMP presided over the sale of nearly 1,800 of these rifles in the classification of Restricted and Non-Restricted. The sudden 'change of mind' will deprive law abiding, Conservative voting, Canadian Voters of over $7,000,000 of after tax private property. Clearly, since during the last 12 years none of these rifles has been used in any crime, these rifles are no threat to security, or the safety, of anyone. All of this makes me somewhat suspicious of the motivations of the RCMP in picking these rifles at this to single out for arbitrary seizure, frankly if I was looking to deliberately enrage a core group of Conservative supporters, there is no way I could do any other thing that would hit the voting base as hard, or as precisely.
    The approval of this travesty by Minister Blaney is a clear indicator that frankly the interests of one of the groups that helped to get the CPC elected, and who have contributed to the party for many years, are no longer the interests of the Government. Alternatively - and in the light of the recent debacle at High River, Alberta and other retro-active gun seizures, the Government is apparently unable or unwilling to control the RCMP's political ambitions. I have expressed my views here, not because I expect them to be taken seriously, or read for that matter, but because as a law abiding citizen it's the only response available to me. I will always comply with the laws of Canada, but find that I no longer have any respect, either for the laws themselves, or the people who write them, administer them, or enforce them.

------------------------------------

I am writing to you, once again, as a constituent that is deeply concerned with the state of the current Firearms Act.

As you are no doubt aware, effective February 27th, 2014 the RCMP have taken it upon themselves to change the classification of the Swiss Arms line of rifles from non-restricted and restricted (depending on barrel length) to prohibited. I’m aware that this is technically a “classification correction” and not a “reclassification” as those must be done by Order in Council but to the estimated 1,800 owners of these rifles and 2 million law abiding gun owners that point is moot. The fact remains that with the stroke of a pen the RCMP has criminalized 1,800 previously law abiding, tax paying and Conservative minded gun owners and it has happened under the Conservative Party’s watch.

Many people are quick to place blame for this on the RCMP as another of their gun grabbing schemes. The fact that they are biased against gun owners has been well documented. The fact is, however, that they are being empowered in their anti-gun agenda by the current legislation in the Firearms Act. The very Firearms Act that the Conservative Party has time and time again supported as adequate and refused to address. Gun owners have been begging the CPC for years to change this legislation to one that is fair to law abiding gun owners to ensure that situations like this don’t happen but we have been ignored, brushed aside and taken for granted.

It is due to this fact that I believe the blame for this most recent “reclassification” sits squarely on the Conservative Party’s shoulders. The question now is: What will you do about it? Will you stand idly by while your most passionate supporters have their property confiscated by the Federal Police force? Or will you finally take this opportunity to right the wrongs imposed upon us as a knee jerk reaction by the previous Liberal government? Reclassification, by any name, is WRONG. Criminalizing people over paper work is WRONG. Threatening prison time for simply owning something that was legal for you to buy is WRONG.

It is time for the CPC to step up to the plate. You are always quick to point out that you stand for the rights of hunters, farmers and sport shooters. Here is your chance to prove it.

---------------------------------

These fit nicely on MP's Facebook pages too.
    CSSA CCFR

Another; nicely sarcastic, I think.

Mr. Prime Minister

I would like to congratulate you on your tough on crime agenda. Apparently the RCMP has taken your message to heart. Just today February 28, 2014 the RCMP have taken it on themselves to create 10,000+ new criminals. This is of course in addition to the roughly 1,500 they created just two days prior. I am referring to the moving of the CZ858 and Swiss Arms Classic rifles to the prohibited category. These rifles which have been legally sold and used under the full knowledge of the RCMP for many years.

It is a funny thing most of these new criminals are those whom have ardently supported and voted for you and the Conservative Party of Canada. Not to worry though I am sure they will find the rehabilitation they so desperately need in the custody of the Correctional Services of Canada. These criminals will learn not to question their RCMP political masters least they are made criminals again. They will know the full glory of Alan Rock's bill C-68 and its ultimate goal so eloquently summed up in his quote "the only people in Canada who should have firearms are police officers and the military". They will learn, they will learn that there is no justice for property owners and they will learn not to vote Conservative.

Mr. Prime Minister bill C-68 isn't the liberal firearms act anymore. It's your bill C-68 now that has created thousands of instant criminals. Your political time may be short right this wrong. Write a just firearms bill.
    CSSA CCFR

Mr. Prime Minister

I would like to congratulate you on your tough on crime agenda. Apparently the RCMP has taken your message to heart. Just today February 28, 2014 the RCMP have taken it on themselves to create 10,000+ new criminals. This is of course in addition to the roughly 1,500 they created just two days prior. I am referring to the moving of the CZ858 and Swiss Arms Classic rifles to the prohibited category. These rifles which have been legally sold and used under the full knowledge of the RCMP for many years.

It is a funny thing most of these new criminals are those whom have ardently supported and voted for you and the Conservative Party of Canada. Not to worry though I am sure they will find the rehabilitation they so desperately need in the custody of the Correctional Services of Canada. These criminals will learn not to question their RCMP political masters least they are made criminals again. They will know the full glory of Alan Rock's bill C-68 and its ultimate goal so eloquently summed up in his quote "the only people in Canada who should have firearms are police officers and the military". They will learn, they will learn that there is no justice for property owners and they will learn not to vote Conservative.

Mr. Prime Minister bill C-68 isn't the liberal firearms act anymore. It's your bill C-68 now that has created thousands of instant criminals. Your political time may be short right this wrong. Write a just firearms bill.
    I just sent this to harpie. he needs to listen if he knows whats right.
    MΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast