Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GOC Letters

GOC Letters

Quote Originally Posted by Strewth View Post
    Certainly, since I basically copied it as well....and I'd like to submit the idea once again for perhaps a letter section where we could all copy off each other? I know it took me a while to write my first one, after that it gets much easier...Maybe not even a section....A Sticky? With no comments in it (ha!), just letters? Anyhoo:
    I second this motion. Some sort of template and a list of addresses would be nice. Some samples of members' letters would be appreciated too. Perhaps a sub-section or a sticky thread in the Action Headquarters section would suffice.

Seconded, you say? Let's see if we can get this thread Stickied...

As far as I know these are the addresses that it's free to send a letter to, please correct me if I'm wrong (I'm really not sure about the Prime Minister's one I posted; I know you can sent a letter to any Minister through the House of Commons):

The Right Honorable Stephen Harper, Prime Minister of Canada

Office of the Prime Minister
    80 Wellington Street
    Ottawa, ON K1A 0A2

Fax: 613-941-6900

E-mail: pm@pm.gc.ca
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    The Honorable Vic Toews, Minister of Pubic Safety

Parliament Hill
    Suite 306, Justice Building House of Commons
    Ottawa. Ont. K1A 0A6
    Ph: 613-992-3128
    Fax: 613-995-1049
    E-mail: toews.v@parl.gc.ca
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    The Honorable John Baird, Minister of Foreign Affairs

House of Commons
    Ottawa, Ontario
    K1A 0A6

Ph: 613-996-0984
    Fax: 613-996-9880
    E-Mail: john.baird@parl.gc.ca

--------------------------------------------------
    Who else?

--------------------------------------------------

The proper way to address the Prime Minister in a letter is with "Dear Prime Minister" or "Prime Minister";
    for a Minister it's "Dear Minister"; to close the letter you're to end it with "Yours Sincerely"
    http://www.pch.gc.ca/pgm/ceem-cced/p...dress2-eng.cfm

When I get home, I'll add some letters...I've got permission from some fairly prolific people to use their written thoughts, which was very nice.
    Last edited by Strewth; 04-05-2013 at 10:46 AM. Reason: The first of many edits:)
    CSSA CCFR

Some letters:

--------------------------------------------------------

I am asking today for the repeal of Bill C-68.
    I am a gun owner. I was introduced to shooting by my father over thirty years ago, and from the first shooting was something that I have enjoyed. I own a modest number of handguns and long guns, some of which are semiautomatic, and all of which are kept securely out of reach of my children, who know not to touch my guns without my supervision. I have never had so much as a moving violation for driving a car, much less a major felony, as can be seen in my daily criminal checks, an invasion of privacy that I am begrudgingly willing to tolerate in order to enjoy my sport.
    I enjoy shooting. I do not know why this is so, but for me it is enough that it is, in fact, so. Some people play golf, or sail boats, or drive cars at foolish rates of speed, or leap from serviceable aircraft and then wait a while before they open their parachutes. In each case, people get a thrill from their individual hobbies. All can be dangerous. Boating accidents claim numerous lives each year; the hazards of auto racing and skydiving are self-evident. My hobby is shooting, and I have never come close to injuring anyone, even myself, because I undertake this activity responsibly, as do virtually all of my fellow shooters. With very little research, I find that gun ranges are one of the safest places to be in all of Canada.
    Shooting, like golf, is a discipline in which one must exercise exact control at one point to achieve a goal at a distant point. It requires practice and concentration, and its reward is a puff of smoke where a clay bird ("skeet") used to be, a hole in a paper target, or the knock-down of a steel silhouette target. As with all the sports I have cited above, the reward is really an internal one. One is gratified by his or her own conquest of the laws of physics. Shooting is, in a word, as much fun for me as a good five-iron shot is for someone else; and I find that it is as effective for controlling stress as golf or other hobbies doubtless are for others.
    Personal ownership of firearms has a long history in Canada. The current use of firearms in hunting and sport shooting merely echoes the time when a gun over the mantel was a means of putting food on the table. Owning a gun meant that a person could protect his (or her) family when the state was unable to do so, a lamentable condition that persists to this day in areas which have large, organized police agencies. Having a gun gives the individual a degree of personal autonomy-the capacity for self-defence-that is not the anachronism many pretend it to be. I do not propose that everyone should own a firearm. A firearm, as with an automobile or any other complex piece of machinery, is something whose use must be learned and should be regularly practiced. Some people are fearful of guns; others are fearful of heights or aircraft. All such fears are irrational, but we live in a free society whose members are allowed to think whatever they care to think. Unfortunately, many people with a morbid fear of firearms seek to expand the scope of their prejudices, enforcing them upon others who do not share them.
    This is not a new phenomenon in Canada. Within living memory there were those so morbidly fearful of blacks that they systematically discriminated against their fellow citizens for no better reason than pigmentation. These types of prejudices were irrational, but worse, they were fundamentally un-Canadian. To think of making a life-management decision for another individual based on irrational prejudice is something that should trouble all of us, most especially when the proposal is to interfere with another who has shown no sign of being a danger to the rest of society. Often unable to point to a threat, the argument for such interference becomes one of "need." Do I need to own guns? Maybe not. Nor, it might be argued, in an era of crowded streets and polluted air do I need to have more than one automobile. Do others need to consume alcohol? Cigarettes? No. Yet I choose to live my life in accordance with my wishes, and so long as I do not trouble others, I expect to be left alone in my personal pursuit of happiness.
    And so it is with guns. I choose to own firearms. So long as I act responsibly, what right does anyone have to make my choices for me?
    I am asking today for the repeal of Bill C-68.

---------------------------------

Today the U.N. passed the Arms Trade Treaty. I am very disappointed in Canada as I do not support the U.N. Arms Trade treaty. The United Nations does not represent the Canadian people, we have an elected government for a reason, and the U.N. imposing rules and regulations on Canadians is unacceptable. This treaty will affect Canada when they are not even the intended target of the treaty, and the illegal arms dealers will not follow this treaty rendering it useless. Gun control in Canada has proven ineffective and obstructive to Canadians for the past 18 years, and to think that the U.N. can stop illegal arms dealing by legislation that will effect countries that are not involved is ridiculous. I urge you not to ratify this U.N. Arms trade treaty as it will affect everyday law abiding Canadians negatively.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I can't find who originally wrote this one, it's from the 'net somewhere, so public domain, but I like to ask people for permission first...if anyone recognizes this, shoot me a PM, please:

I write to you today on the history of Bill C-68.
    The 1995 Firearms Act (Bill C-68) was passed by the Liberal government during a period of declining gun violence. Less than five per cent of all violent crimes in Canada involve a firearm, and despite decades of tough laws regulating the civilian ownership of handguns, nearly three-quarters of all gun-related violent crimes involve handguns, most of them unregistered.

While previous administrations in the period following WWII had consistently rejected long gun registration as unworkable, impractical and expensive, the Liberals needed to live up to their pre-election commitments to once again "toughen" Canada's gun laws. The anti-subversive aspect of Bill C-68 was promoted by justice minister Allan Rock who claimed that gun registration will help the government ". . . track paramilitary groups," and find out who is ". . . stockpiling firearms." It is probably not coincidental that the House of Commons rushed through Bill C-68 as Quebecers were debating whether they should vote to remain part of Canada, just before the Oct. 30, 1995 referendum.

Like every other piece of Canadian "gun control" legislation, the real motivation for Bill C-68 seemed to be strategic political concerns, not anxieties over crime or violence. It is but another chapter in the "culture conflict." Firearms are symbolic of groups of people and cultures that are disliked, largely for reasons not directly related to gun ownership.

The 1995 Firearms Act, like every other piece of restrictive "gun control" legislation introduced since Confederation, has certainly failed to stop armed crime or eliminate illegally owned weapons. But that is not really the point. The point is that successive Canadian governments, purportedly fearful of mayhem and social upheaval, gradually deprived the Canadian public of a right to be armed that had been a part of a common law heritage recognized in Britain's Bill of Rights of 1689. It states that "the Subjects which are Protestants may have arms for their defence suitable to their condition and as allowed by law."
    I submit that the firearms laws that we are burdened with today are unnecessarily onerous, and appear to serve no purpose other than to deny freedoms to lawful citizens of this country. I call for an end to the wasteful, convoluted Firearms Act, and a return to laws that can be enforced against criminals, not objects.
    I ask for the repeal of Bill C-68.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Strewth; 04-05-2013 at 11:52 PM.
    CSSA CCFR

From Canada Carry, they'd love to see these go out as paper letters to the office of the PM, and to Minister Toews:

Please consider acting for responsible Canadians who seek the option to carry a concealed handgun to protect themselves and others.
    Kindly note that the popular allegation that concealed carry increases violence is simply untrue. Contemporary statistics prove that crime actually decreases in areas where qualified citizens are legislated to carry handguns. While this may at first appear counter-intuitive, there is compelling evidence that most criminals will not attack citizens who may be armed. Where concealed carry is allowed, just the prospect of an armed citizenry is sufficient to curtail muggings, car jackings and hold-ups.
    In Canada, while citizens may apply to carry a concealed handgun, permission is almost never granted. In effect, the federally appointed Chief Firearms Officers entrusted to issue permits refuse to allow us to protect ourselves. I urge you to support the notion that automatic refusal for all but peace officers is tantamount to ignoring the basic human rights of all Canadians.
    Our access to these rights has powerful precedents. Life, liberty and the security of the person are guaranteed by the United Nations Universal Declaration of Rights in Article 3. The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms also guarantees the right to life, liberty and the security of the person. And, the Criminal Code of Canada allows for the right to self-defence, which is a basic recognized human right.
    These precedents permit a concealed handgun for those who pass the required criminal and mental health background checks to obtain a Restricted Possession and Acquisition Licence. Applicants should also be expected to demonstrate proficiency with a firearm, such as that demonstrated by peace officers.
    We believe that Canadians should demonstrate competence in order to carry a concealed handgun. The arbitrary permission process in the hands Chief Firearms Officers, however, makes the permit process illusory and without legitimacy. I urge you to advocate amendments to Firearms Act to permit an Authorization To Carry (ATC) upon the request of an individual. Applicants should not have to prove that he/she has previously faced imminent threats to their life or has survived an unsuccessful attempt of murder to be permitted the most basic tools of self-preservation.

---------------------------------------------------------

I am writing to ask you to act on behalf of responsible Canadians who have the right to protect themselves and others against harm.
    Permission is rarely granted to ordinary Canadian citizens to defend themselves. It is political correctness gone awry. Canada has perfectly good and reasonable laws in place that would allow its citizens to carry a concealed handgun for self-protection. Unfortunately, the evolution of automatic refusals runs rampant among federally appointed Chief Firearms Officers. Qualified adults are allowed to carry a handgun in Canada, yet permission is virtually never granted unless the applicant is a peace officer.
    There is no evidence anywhere in the world that allowing concealed carry increases violence. There is a great deal of evidence that the inverse is in fact true -- crime goes down in regions where citizens are allowed to carry handguns. It seems criminals have no stomach for an altercation with a citizen who may be armed, so they ply their trade instead in regions where concealed carry is disallowed.
    I urge you to consider our rights. Life, liberty and the security of the person are guaranteed by the United Nations Universal Declaration of Rights in Article 3. The Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms also guarantees the right to life, liberty and the security of the person. And, the Criminal Code of Canada provides for the right to self-defence, which is a universally recognized human right.
    These are compelling precedents to allow Canadians to carry a concealed handgun if they so choose and pass the required criminal and mental health background checks to obtain a Restricted Possession and Acquisition Licence. They would also be expected to demonstrate proficiency with a firearm, such as that demonstrated by peace officers.
    The arbitrary permission process from Chief Firearms Officers is illusory and fails to protect Canadians. The current process deliberately places Canadians in harm’s way because permission is not granted. Please advocate amending the Firearms Act to allow for an Authorization To Carry (ATC) to be issued upon the request of an individual without the requirement that he/she has previously faced imminent threats to their life or has survived an unsuccessful attempt of murder. Please act to promote the self-defence of Canadians and prevent crime. In almost every case, there mere presence of a defensive firearm is sufficient without a single shot being fired.

And please remember, when a citizen has just seconds to act, a police officer is always minutes away.
    CSSA CCFR

This was from the Edmonton Sun, good thoughts to add to any letter that touches on the money potentially saved in abolishing our cluttered gun control laws:

Mental health is the issue

This tragedy in Connecticut has paralyzed me, though I know no one involved. It has brought me to tears several times. And while I am sure there is going to be a discussion about gun ownership in the U.S., a much more important issue is going unmentioned. There are too many mentally ill people walking the streets undiagnosed, unmedicated, untreated and swept under the carpet while services continue to be cut. And every once in a while one of them crawls out and we see another tragedy. If the money spent on firearms talks and legislation were spent on mental health services, the battle against senseless violence and mayhem would be more successful.

Jill-Anne Hopkins

(It is still very difficult for people to talk about mental health.)
    Wow, I've got to organize my documents folder, more later.
    CSSA CCFR

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    Hello Strewth. Thanks for the template letters. I have just finished some with a few tweaks and onto paper. Proper Canada Post tomorrow and see where it leads.
    cookin' up a batch of fun (and pasta)

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

Red Deer Shooting Centre 50calshooter's Avatar
    Good idea!

Banned
    Yes, Thanks Strewth. My printer is smokin!

Moved and sticky.

Welcome to GOC, Site for honest, hardworking Canadians, that own firearms.

Last edited by Strewth; 04-22-2013 at 11:22 AM. Reason: oops, wrong thread...still cool it's a Sticky though, I've got to rummage through my computer and find some more letters
    CSSA CCFR

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast