Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How can there be love for the Remington 770?

Seriously?! There are people who LOVE the Remington 770s. I held one and had to wash my hands afterwards. It's the worst thing that Remington has ever produced. The local gunstore here and in Quesnel both refuse to sell Remington 770 rifles due to the amount of problems.

I actually had a kid who states the 770 is one of the best guns ever made and would actually put it up against any Savage rifle I own at 200-300 yards. Now I may be wrong but there is no way a Remington 770 is going to compete against a Savage 10 FCP at 200-300 yards.

EM Precision Rifles stevesummit's Avatar
    I agree 100%

And civics are the fasted cars on the road.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Senior Member OutdoorPursuitsCanada's Avatar
    Agreed. Hate em.

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    The only thing you should ever form an opinion on just by holding it is a woman

I shared the same opinion on the 770 till I learned better.
    Say what you will about them, my neighbors son has a 770 in 7mm..camo stainless.
    It's a real shooter. He has taken Elk to coyotes with it and some long range coyotes at that.
    I was so impressed with it that I bought one for a backup. Same thing, camo stainless. It shoots too.
    Now granted I went with a 3200 instead of a Leupold, but I have a polished bolt in mine, and for the price and performance I can stand the fugly trigger guard.
    The reason there is love for them, is because people that actually own and fire them, appreciate them.
    Count me as one.
    They are exactly what they were intended to be, a reliable and accurate entry level rifle...
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherRockeye View Post
    They are exactly what they were intended to be, a reliable and accurate entry level rifle...
    Reliable does not belong in the same sentence with 770. They are lemons. We've had 5 or 6 that have been total failures just in the two ranges I'm a member of. I've heard of multiple stores that refuse to sell them. Our local store refused to carry than anymore because out of 10 he brought in, 4 had to go back to Remington before they even were placed on the shelves to sell.

Things like right out of the box the triggers won't even work, bolts that don't even close properly (can't push bolt handle down), bolts that don't secure properly, bolts that won't open properly, and those that even got out of the boxes and could actually fired, firing pins that sheered off within the first box of ammo.

Here is a video from a guy showing the the 770 he bought his son is dangerous. The bolt comes clean out even though it's supposed to be locked in and the trigger isn't pulled:

Last edited by Drache; 04-23-2013 at 06:38 PM.

My cousin (ex CF sniper) swears by his ... It's much lighter than anything I own, and the camo stock is kinda cheezy to me, but I'll take his word for it.

Afterwards he went to extract the spent shell and load another round and the bolt had locked up and the bolt handle broke right off the bolt body. Nice clean break.
    Ive sent 3 back already with that same problem since our hunting season opened in NY
    I'll start out by saying I know the 770 is a poorly made rifle. That being said, I have encountered one issue with the rifle that really does bother me. It has trouble cycling rounds from the detachable magazine. The tip of the bullet actually hits the lip at the end of the (feed ramp?) and becomes wedged between this and the bolt.
    I had the exact same problem with mine. Eventually decided to just feed them manually into the chamber one at a time. Mine was .308
    To begin with, the stock is made out of plastic and the sling swivel attachment on the forend broke off when we attempted to attached a bipod.
    Last year i got a Rem model 770 7mm rifle. Learned that it was the same rifle that was firing on its own but the problem was fixed
    when I have pulled the bolt back to extract the casing, the bolt hangs up. If the clip is out- no problems. This morning I loaded it with spent rounds, same results, hooked first casing in the clip. When I checked that casing I can see and feel a notch on the neck of the casing. I checked the live rounds that were last loaded, I could see a scrape and fresh brass on the cartridge. Upon removing the clip and observing the bolt as it is pulled back I saw where one of the locking lugs on the bolt is centered directly above where the clip sets
    People are mostly describing the bolt being difficult, if not near impossible to open just after firing a round. I've seen this happen with several.
    I've seen them that won't chamber a round to begin with.

This list goes on! Should I also mention that you supposedly can't replace the barrel on a Remington 770? A gunsmith told me they don't come off. So if something happens to your barrel you're SOL...

Banned
    I've never held one myself, so I can't say - aside of a lot of net talk with issues new rems have seemingly across the board.

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    I guess me an the neighbors kid got 2 of the good ones then. We're 100% in this neck of the woods.

I personally have nothing bad to say about them!

Just to clarify... "in my experience" they are exactly what they were intended to be, a reliable and accurate entry level rifle...
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast