Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How Long to Receive Registration Certificate?

I bought a pistol from a dealer in BC. I promptly received paperwork from the local CFO which included my LTATT as well as transfer of ownership papers. I then received the pistol in the mail this past Monday. However I'm still waiting on receiving my registration certificate. I'm assuming this is handled by Miramichi? How long on average does it take for this to arrive? Also, I imagine it is a bad idea to leave the house with the pistol (even though I have an LTATT) until I also have the certificate?
    Proud member of the NFA and CSSA

It is a bad idea to leave the house without ze registration papers, even though you have the LTATT. Gots to have your papers, keeps the Earth from crumbling around you when you leave the house.

Most current for me was...two months ago? It took two weeks after the pistol arrived to get my registration cert. My sympathies, it's the part of the waiting game I like the least - stare at pistol, dryfire, strip and reassemble, look wistfully in the mailbox...
    CSSA CCFR

My latest purchase (from a retailer) took a mere 6 days. As for taking the gun out with you, it shouldn't be a problem provided you have your ATT and the confirmation of transfer. I've inquired about this in the past and I was told that if I have the confirmation number, I'm covered. Alternatively, the CFO can (and has) faxed or emailed a copy of certificates and ATT's.

Quote Originally Posted by Strewth View Post
    My sympathies, it's the part of the waiting game I like the least - stare at pistol, dryfire, strip and reassemble, look wistfully in the mailbox...
    Okay I'm glad I'm not the only one going through the above steps. (Over and over again). Thanks.
    Proud member of the NFA and CSSA

just did a few of these myself, and both times in the last 2 weeks, the cfo agent stressed to me about being a responsible gun owner, and making sure i wait till my registration arrived in the mail before taking the pistol to the range, generally speaking, the last 5 ive done have never taken more then 10 buissness days to arrive to my mail box, and yes, gave me plenty of time to learn the steps in each pistol for tearing them down, cleaning and putting them back together again..lol

Usually a week to get the certificate. Keeps you from taking it out and killing someone rashly before it arrives.

Weird the way it work's, you get the gun before the paper work that make's it safe.

It isn't about safety, it's about discouraging you from firearm ownership via a bureaucratic process

Quote Originally Posted by shootemup604 View Post
    Usually a week to get the certificate.
    That was my experience too. Once it's approved, snail mail is most of the time it takes.

The process is automated. They don't even have to stuff an envelope. They push a button, and within an hour your certificate is ready for Canada Post (printed, folded, envelope stuffed, postage applied, and in the out-bin).

This guy asked for reprints of all of his registration certificates. He got 4 per page, but each page in its own envelope.

Is anybody aware of any case law regarding using the transfer confirmation as a de facto registration certificate? I've heard tell of both sides on the grapevince....some CFO's say you're fine to transport with the transfer confirmation others say if you're caught you go to jail. More legal ambiguity, who would have expected that?

I'm inclined to believe it is in fact a de facto registration certificate, based on the fact that firearms are typically shipped upon receipt of it. I'm not aware in law of a distinction being made for transporting a firearm without a registration certificate to a new owner. This practice, however, seems to be generally accepted as legal by CFO's and LE. Therefore, transfer notice must = registration certificate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast