Banned

2.5" shotgun ammo - rare?

Im perusing an online site, noting a number of older shotties with 2.5" sized shells. I went snooping to see if I could find ammo - but it seems rare. Information please? Who has availability for the ammo in Canada or is it simply obsolete? Is it not worth attempting to resize the chambers by 1/4"?

There are a few companies that still make them in the States. But they are vintage and not many companies carry them. You would have to get a local company to special order them in. Sellier & Bellot makes them.

Kent makes a 2 1/2" shell in black powder as most of the old guns are damascus and should be fed BP only, I make my own 2 1/2" shells by cutting down 2 3/4" and loading with black, done by hand.

I've never seen any for sale, but I have seen 2.5 inch paper hulls at a gunshow before. If you wanted to waterfowl, you'd need to reload something like NiceShot, because I think non-tox 2.5s would be impossible to find.

Kent makes 2-1/2" shells in smokeless, black powder and non-toxic. I've seen occasionally for sale in Southern Ontario. Shooter's Choice in Waterloo had some there the last time I visited.

Lengthening the chambers is possible however it takes the gun out of proof and removes metal at a critical point in the barrels.

Over in the UK it is still very common.

Rio makes them

I buy Kent Gamebore and have them special ordered. Gagnon in Oshawa has done it for me in the past.

You could reload - not that expensive to get into for shotguns.