Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 10/22 vs 597

I'd grab a marlin, I have a cooey/savage 64, it works but I don't see anything that makes it worthy of buying over any other .22
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    I'd grab a marlin, I have a cooey/savage 64, it works but I don't see anything that makes it worthy of buying over any other .22
    You just saved me $160.

If you want reliability in semi, I too would opt for a Marlin (Model 60) before a Ruger. In a bolt, I like my Savage Mark II. I haven't tried a CZ yet, but I hear they're quite nice.

Quote Originally Posted by awndray View Post
    If you want reliability in semi, I too would opt for a Marlin (Model 60) before a Ruger. In a bolt, I like my Savage Mark II. I haven't tried a CZ yet, but I hear they're quite nice.
    Interesting. My 10/22 has been dead nuts reliable. I clean it every 1000 rounds or so, and it consistently eats any ammo I feed it. That includes Winchester, and those who know me and my guns know that my respect for Winchester ammo is somewhere below that of cockroach dung.

As for accuracy, it shoots minute of gopher at around 100m all day long. I have no complaints with that kind of accuracy in a semi auto .22 caliber gun.

All that said, I have the Deluxe Sporter version, so it may have slightly better components or workmanship in it than the base models.

When it comes to a bolt action, I like the Savage BTVS and the CZ 455. However, I would rather have a bolt action .22WMR than .22LR any day.
    I'd rather make a difference than a dollar.

My 10/22 has been reliable too(since 2007) but I only shoot blazers or cci and replaced the extractor with a vq one before I ever shot it.
    I did have issues with a crappy butler creek magazine though.

Senior Member A corrupted individual's Avatar
    My buddy's 10/22 won't run with winchester white box, m22, or super x. It also won't run the cci shotshell ammo

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    they are all individuals I think. My 10/22 loves the cheapo Winchester white box Dyna whatever...
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

Quote Originally Posted by A corrupted individual View Post
    It also won't run the cci shotshell ammo
    That's no surprise

My 10/22 is the sport deluxe model. Its the top of the line when it comes to the carbine model Ruger 10/22's with premium wood, wider grip and larger palm swell and comes with sling swivels already installed. Back then, only the deluxe came stock with the extended mag release and the others didn't but now all 10/22's come with the extended mag release. My 10/22 was my first gun ever. Many of my guns have come and gone but my 10/22 still remains. I've had fun times and pissed off times like when the gun decided to throw the extractor claw, plunger, and spring down range never to be found again. Because of the 10/22's massive aftermarket crap available, it wasn't hard to get the new parts and I was back in action next weekend with a better than factory spring, plunger, and titanium claw that increased the rifles reliability to function with the .22 Blazer ammo. Before that, it was CCI mini mags only but that shits expensive for .22 ammo. The buggers at Wholesale, where I got my 10/22, didn't give me the weaver rail that was suppose to come with the rifle but I ordered a low profile rail that is better than factory. The rail is so low that I can use the sights just by taking the scope off. Something that pisses me off with my 10/22 is the take down screw has the tendency to come loose as your shooting and the gun begins to shift in the stock causing major inaccuracy issues. I just remember to bring a flat head with me to the range and check it after every box of ammo but it really is inconvenient. My 10/22 has also been with me at the right place and right time well cursing down the logging roads. Its gotten me a lot of grouse because it fits perfectly behind the rear seat of my pick up. Its like as if GM designed the truck just so a Ruger 10/22 or rifle of similar size could fit back there.

At any rate, I have lots of good memories with my 10/22 and I don't see it going anywhere other than into the hands of my kids when they grow up. I recently found a 30 round 597 at the range that has apparently been sitting there for weeks. Must of been from a disgruntled 597 owner who got pissed off that it didn't work. The only other .22 rifle I want is a CZ 455 FS in .22WMR.

I'm saying screw it to a semi auto for now. Tomorrow I will order a CZ 455 American combo with a 22LR and 17 HMR barrel. I couldnt decide on caliber, so now I get both for the same price.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast