Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Distinguished Baconeer VancouverSkiBum's Avatar
    Unless carry laws change, i dont plan on getting my rpal for pistols etc. I just dont see the point on having stuff i can only bring to one place ie. the range... and i don't see the world going to shit anytime soon. lol. I would love to have a 45/70 rifle!
    I looked and looked but I didn't see God. - Yuri Gagarin, 14 April 1961

When I die, my atoms will come undone; ill be space dust, once again. The wind will carry me; Scatter me everywhere; Like dandelions in the springtime. Ill visit worlds and alien moons; It will be so damn poetic... Until I land on your sandwich.

http://i.imgur.com/wZbDShd.gif

A little off topic but I'm heading down to Nevada in September for a four day tactical pistol and shotgun course, I want to bring my own handgun and shotgun but I'm unsure how to go about it and the legalities on both sides of the border. I was also curious if I would be able to purchase ammunition in the states for use in this course, I wouldn't be bringing any back with me. Am I able to purchase ammo in the USA?

Thanks.

IIRC (will need confirmation) you need to a BATF form 6 submitted and approved. To legally possess a firearm and/or ammo (or to buy ammo) as an "alien" you need a hunting license, for some states it can actually be done online these days. For your form 6 to be approved if you decide to list your match as the reason for import you'll need paperwork to support it, such as a formal invitation. Also be aware that each state has it's own rules regarding transport of firearms and/or ammo in a vehicle so you want to brush up on those also.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikehammer View Post
    A little off topic but I'm heading down to Nevada in September for a four day tactical pistol and shotgun course, I want to bring my own handgun and shotgun but I'm unsure how to go about it and the legalities on both sides of the border. I was also curious if I would be able to purchase ammunition in the states for use in this course, I wouldn't be bringing any back with me. Am I able to purchase ammo in the USA?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikehammer View Post

Thanks.
    I'll be back at "Frontsight" myself on Sept. 23 & Dec, 3 Get your Ammo At the onsite Store - Stockpile Defense. That's what i plan to do as i did last last time I was there in March.
    Smile & Always Shoot To Kill !!

Quote Originally Posted by RobSmith View Post
    IIRC (will need confirmation) you need to a BATF form 6 submitted and approved. To legally possess a firearm and/or ammo (or to buy ammo) as an "alien" you need a hunting license, for some states it can actually be done online these days. For your form 6 to be approved if you decide to list your match as the reason for import you'll need paperwork to support it, such as a formal invitation. Also be aware that each state has it's own rules regarding transport of firearms and/or ammo in a vehicle so you want to brush up on those also.
    ALL I did Was Fill out ATF Form 5330-3d.pdf and fax it in to the Atf along with a copy of my Frontsight.com confirmation of my hand gun course and they emailed me back an approval in PDF format. took about 2 weeks (over Easter holidays). They Allow you to include any Ammo you wish to bring in to the country on the form.
    Last edited by GlockGuy; 06-20-2013 at 05:48 PM.

My NRA state handbook says "for Nevada" says;

A loaded handgun secured in a gun case or on an empty passenger seat is legal" Nevada is a very Gun Friendly state. Open carry in a holster by anyone is legal no permit required. Concealed carry requires a permit. Warning it is a serious offense to bring a gun into any place of business that posts a " no guns allowed sign. Open carry in Las Vegas (Clarke County) is NOT allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by FALover View Post
    With the American ammo situation there appears to be no benefit to buying in the U.S. Lack of stock, higher prices,paperwork and then you can only bring what is allowed duty free for the time you are there. Duty and taxes, hotel or motel for your 24 stay and I see no savings.
    Interestingly enough, you can take ammo into the US without much hassle from US customs. Unfortunately, they don’t have guidelines on the amount. Just “personal use”, so then it’s more indivual agent judgement. 5000 rounds is listed for US citizen to leave with I think, so that’s what I’d likely use as an upper limit. I’ve asked a few times in my crossings, and I get the impression it’s not a concept most are familiar with. Especially airport US customs.

Quote Originally Posted by Fusilier View Post
    US export permits cost in the thousands of dollars and only US citizens can apply. There is no legal way for a lowly Canadian to legally export ITAR restricted items out of the US. You would have to arrange export through a licensed exporter.
    I believe a poster here and on CGN filled out the paperwork for an ammunition import a few years ago. I’ll let him talk about it, but he didn’t think it was that difficult, but there’s some paperwork involved.

The newish CES? Layer for exporting cars, trailers, etc doesn’t seem to effect the way he does it. But I don’t think he’s trying to act the exporter. The CES thing almost tripped me up on a car export a couple years ago, particularly because of the added time involved. I’d already headed for the border, and there’s a 72hr in advance rule for one step that it’s email response was messing with. And yes, CES can5 really be done by Canadians.

If you fill out import paperwork for ammo for your trip to the states, and take some down with you and DONT use it you CAN legally bring it back with you. Read between the lines, hint, hint.

Quote Originally Posted by VancouverSkiBum View Post
    On page 12 it states-

You may import authorized sporting and
    competitive ammunition and reloading
    components for your personal use.

Up to 5000 Rounds. Without requiring an Explosives
    Importation Permit from Natural Resources
    Canada.

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publicati...sf5044-eng.pdf

Has anyone had experience with this?
    Back when we could lawfully export it from the states the limit was 1,000 rounds.

Now we have a much larger limit but no lawful way to export.
    Gun Control is about making it unlawful for you to use, carry, or possess a firearm.

All restrictions/prohibitions on the use, carriage, or possession of firearms must be repealed.

Middle ground?

What middle ground?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast