Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Thank-You much for the information

this is exactly the information i need to get started. I've lucked out by getting to know the manager and assistant (who also like firearms) at a mechanic I take the company vehicles to so I can get as much as I need. My biggest headache seems to be finding the bullet molds. I am looking to primarily cast in 303 british but also will be doing other calibers.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipshot56 View Post
    Thank-You much for the information

this is exactly the information i need to get started. I've lucked out by getting to know the manager and assistant (who also like firearms) at a mechanic I take the company vehicles to so I can get as much as I need. My biggest headache seems to be finding the bullet molds. I am looking to primarily cast in 303 british but also will be doing other calibers.
    Mail order out of the US my friend. There's still no restrictions on getting bullet casting tools out of the US.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Slipshot56, a word of advice: If you're going to cast rifle bullets, look into gas-checks before you put any money down for a mould. Most rifle bullets (not all, but a heck of a lot) will require a gas-check because of the larger powder charges and higher velocities. If you're putting gas-checks on cast bullets, you'll need a mould made to cast bullets with this in mind. Most moulds will say if they are a gas-check design or not but better safe than sorry.

Cool

If you want to shoot for REALLY cheap, you can run the Harris Universal Load For Military Rifles. It is 13 grains of Red Dot shotgun powder behind a 180-grain CAST bullet.

This load was developed by the Canadian firearms expert C.E. Harris as a mild (slightly over Gallery) loading for just about ALL military-size rifles. With minor modification, it works well for any large-bore rifle of the World Wars. I would NOT try it in a .223! OTOH, it works just fine in .303s, 8x57s, 7x57s and so forth.

No filler is required, no wad.

DO NOT USE WITH JACKETED BULLETS!!!!!!!

You can run straight WW metal, with or without a gas check (your rifle will tell you) and you get 538 rounds to the tin of powder.

COST is about 8 cents a shot for checkless, 11 cents a shot for gas-check bullets. That's 9 to 12 rounds for a Loonie.

Accuracy is good enough that Buffdog uses this as his gopher-sniping load in a .303, out as far as 300 yards. He can just about guarantee a hit at 200+.

Another friend in Starbuck is running these in a Mark III Ross and reports just a hair over 1 MOA with them, repeatable any time you can hold the rifle down. He is using 14 grains of Red Dot..... and has started buying his Red Dot 2 cans at a time! It WORKS.

I am running away to hide for a while. Have to check out this 480 pounds of SOFT lead which arrived here...... and the most recent bucket of WW....... which has 5 more friends still to be brought home.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Smellie; 12-22-2013 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smellie View Post
    If you want to shoot for REALLY cheap, you can run the Harris Universal Load For Military Rifles. It is 13 grains of Red Dot shotgun powder behind a 180-grain CAST bullet.

This load was developed by the Canadian firearms expert C.E. Harris as a mild (slightly over Gallery) loading for just about ALL military-size rifles. With minor modification, it works well for any large-bore rifle of the World Wars. I would NOT try it in a .223! OTOH, it works just fine in .303s, 8x57s, 7x57s and so forth.

No filler is required, no wad.

DO NOT USE WITH JACKETED BULLETS!!!!!!!

You can run straight WW metal, with or without a gas check (your rifle will tell you) and you get 538 rounds to the tin of powder.

COST is about 8 cents a shot for checkless, 11 cents a shot for gas-check bullets. That's 9 to 12 rounds for a Loonie.

Accuracy is good enough that Buffdog uses this as his gopher-sniping load in a .303, out as far as 300 yards. He can just about guarantee a hit at 200+.

Another friend in Starbuck is running these in a Mark III Ross and reports just a hair over 1 MOA with them, repeatable any time you can hold the rifle down. He is using 14 grains of Red Dot..... and has started buying his Red Dot 2 cans at a time! It WORKS.

I am running away to hide for a while. Have to check out this 480 pounds of SOFT lead which arrived here...... and the most recent bucket of WW....... which has 5 more friends still to be brought home.

Hope this helps.
    Smellie...you're here on GOC!! Didn't notice you at all. Welcome!

Now on to interesting things. I'm on to new challenges now...loading cast boolits for my M14. As you well know, those 7.62s are not cheap. I bought just 750 of them, surplus Austrian stuff, just for the brass of course, which looks really good.

Now I've been reading about this guy down south, a Bruce Bannister, who developed the most amazingly accurate loads for his M14 using cast. So accurate were these loads that he won some NRA 400 yard competition hitting then gong 5 out of 5 times!

My plan is to emulate his loads, but with the moulds I have which are all Lee. I could use the Lee 312-160-2R, which is the same boolit I used very successfully for my SMLE. Or I could use the 309-170-F which I've used very successfully for my 30-30. Or maybe I should get another mould?

Thoughts?

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Quote Originally Posted by OEM View Post
    Smellie...you're here on GOC!! Didn't notice you at all. Welcome!

Now on to interesting things. I'm on to new challenges now...loading cast boolits for my M14. As you well know, those 7.62s are not cheap. I bought just 750 of them, surplus Austrian stuff, just for the brass of course, which looks really good.

Now I've been reading about this guy down south, a Bruce Bannister, who developed the most amazingly accurate loads for his M14 using cast. So accurate were these loads that he won some NRA 400 yard competition hitting then gong 5 out of 5 times!

My plan is to emulate his loads, but with the moulds I have which are all Lee. I could use the Lee 312-160-2R, which is the same boolit I used very successfully for my SMLE. Or I could use the 309-170-F which I've used very successfully for my 30-30. Or maybe I should get another mould?

Thoughts?
    Hey hasn't signed on in 16 months bud. As far.as the bullet.goes, I'm no.expert.on 308 loads (yet )

Start a.new.thread and ask away. I'm sure somebody has don't. It.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345