Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Instinctive Archers?

So last winter I picked up my first bow, a Martin takedown recurve. My goal for this bow was to learn the basics of archery with no gizmos, no accessories, just learn the skills people have used for thousands of years. It's freaking hard!

Anyone have any tips for being more consistent? I tried gap shooting for a while, it went ok, but instinctive is pretty cool (when it works) lol

Tired of losing arrows...I made a target stand...ready for straw bales.

Got some tips for the coming Squirrelpocalypse this fall.

Token Female Moderator Candychikita's Avatar
    your target stand looks fantastic!

are you anchoring in the same place every time? following through when you release? maybe video yourself and critique your form? i was told once upon a time that if you "look good, you shoot good" in terms of form and instinctive archery...that was the only advice i ever got about how to have some consistency with a recurve heh.

good luck have fun

Ya the target stand was fun, all recycled materials, the main frame is laminate pallets from India, old rusty tin from my shop roof and some old split rail fence that was lying around.

Yes I've been trying my best to get a good anchor, but I know the follow through with release is not consistent. Good call on the video....I love archery, it's like golf, but way less nerdy, and you can kill things if you want. :P

It might seem silly, but try drawing your bow with your eyes closed.
    We get so much information from our eyes that it tends to overload all the "feel" and our brain wants us to go with what it sees.
    Concentrate on how it feels, and get it exactly the same every time.
    Get the thumb knuckle hooked on the same spot of your jaw bone every time.
    Get your shoulders comfortably set the same way every time.
    Straighten up and get that twinged out of the lower back.
    Get your bow holding elbow locked the same every time.
    Loosen your grip on the bow; you're pulling it into the crook of your thumb, it's not going anywhere and doesn't need the grip of death.

Once you can get consistent posture/ mechanics, open your eyes and look at the target.
    Line the arrow tip up with a point, and shoot three arrows with that point of aim.
    If you get a group, then shift your point of aim to hit centre.

My first two bows didn't have sights, and I used to shoot gophers with them.
    Of course, that was 30 years ago, but the muscle memory is still kinda there.
    Pretty hard to describe over the internet though

ETA:
    Pretty sweet bow, btw!
    I really like your backstop, too.
    I found hitting hard targets and driving the tip into arrows shafts and ruining them to be very good incentive to improve my aim
    Last edited by Rory McCanuck; 07-31-2013 at 03:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rory McCanuck View Post
    It might seem silly, but try drawing your bow with your eyes closed.
    We get so much information from our eyes that it tends to overload all the "feel" and our brain wants us to go with what it sees.
    Concentrate on how it feels, and get it exactly the same every time.
    Get the thumb knuckle hooked on the same spot of your jaw bone every time.
    Get your shoulders comfortably set the same way every time.
    Straighten up and get that twinged out of the lower back.
    Get your bow holding elbow locked the same every time.
    Loosen your grip on the bow; you're pulling it into the crook of your thumb, it's not going anywhere and doesn't need the grip of death.

Once you can get consistent posture/ mechanics, open your eyes and look at the target.
    Line the arrow tip up with a point, and shoot three arrows with that point of aim.
    If you get a group, then shift your point of aim to hit centre.

My first two bows didn't have sights, and I used to shoot gophers with them.
    Of course, that was 30 years ago, but the muscle memory is still kinda there.
    Pretty hard to describe over the internet though

ETA:
    Pretty sweet bow, btw!
    I really like your backstop, too.
    I found hitting hard targets and driving the tip into arrows shafts and ruining them to be very good incentive to improve my aim
    I love that idea, I will try it tomorrow, I've worked on being consistent for the last couple days and have seen a dramatic improvement.

Today I thought I would bring some IPSC to archery.....

Shotgun, rifle and a 4 wheel drive! BrotherRockeye's Avatar
    I started a tutorial for you...same as I used for my son...but my fingers started smoking long before I said much so I gave up...

short story...push, pull, draw, aim, release should all be one fluid motion...there is no "anchor" point in traditional archery...if you stop and hold...watch a few old westerns, pay attention to the ...first nations folks...point the arrow like yer finger...or point your riser index finger to start...worked for my boy...
    We're kin cuz we shoot! What we shoot, and what we shoot at, shouldn't matter!

"The worst an honest man can do is make an honest mistake" ~ Augustus McCrae
    There is no Justice...SUNRAY Lives

G. Fred Asbell's book Instinctive Shooting is very good!

Ive been instinctive shooting all my life. I taught myself and have a very screwy way of doing it. I have to shoot with both eyes open.

Consistency of stance is critical. If you hold the bow, draw the bow and release the same way every time the arrow will do pretty much the same thing every time and your body will naturally adjust to hit what you're looking at.

Not everyone does it this way - but I always focus on the point of impact and let my body do the rest. Kind of like shotgunning.

Ya since then, I have been shooting with both eyes open and looking only at the target, getting a lot better!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast