Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Canadian ForcesMember

Mosin Nagant 91/30 or SVT 40

Well the Canadian Tire here in fredericton has surplus 91/30's and SVT 40's, the 91/30's are like 129$ and the SVT's are around 250 I think, they also have surplus ammo 800 some rounds for 220, but i can't decided if I want the 91/30 or the SVT. Can someone help me out.
    The only thing that should be liberal is the amount of oil applied to your gun!
    Trust me, I'm an internet lawyer.

What do you intend to do with it? Plinking? Hunting? Looking for a collectable?

Mosin kicks harder...I don't think I've ever heard of one breaking?
    SVT less accurate (semi) but...it's a semi! The SVT is also fairly loud to sit beside at the range. By fairly, I mean a lot.

mmmm, one point I'll say is that the SVT takes longer to clean than the Mosin, far more tear down required for corrosive surplus....which is kind of cool.
    And the obligatory: They're both worth far more than that by today's standards...buy both!

Oh, and jealous of your CT selling rifles. Good for them!
    CSSA CCFR

Canadian ForcesMember
    Quote Originally Posted by Strewth View Post
    What do you intend to do with it? Plinking? Hunting? Looking for a collectable?

Mosin kicks harder...I don't think I've ever heard of one breaking?
    SVT less accurate (semi) but...it's a semi! The SVT is also fairly loud to sit beside at the range. By fairly, I mean a lot.

mmmm, one point I'll say is that the SVT takes longer to clean than the Mosin, far more tear down required for corrosive surplus....which is kind of cool.
    And the obligatory: They're both worth far more than that by today's standards...buy both!

Oh, and jealous of your CT selling rifles. Good for them!
    Cool thanks, hopfully I can eventually get both but only one for now. There are 2 CT's in Freddy and 1 in Oromocto that all sell firearms. I'm not actually from here tho, if my local CT had firearms, I'd been a very poor man, but a happy poor man.

Only one? If pressed I would say the bolt action, makes the ammo last longer, easier to clean, more accurate. She does kick, however, especially off the bench....are you shooting off a bench?

Really the best advice I could offer is to try and shoot both before you buy, preferably in the environment (bush, range) you'll be using her...

And if budget is a concern (when isn't it) for a semi and a case of ammo it's hard to beat an SKS? Just to muddle the issue.
    CSSA CCFR

I have both, both being recently acquired this year. If I was forced to choose just one I wouldn't hesitate to keep the SVT. Semi-auto milsurp non-restricted. Can't beat that. They go for double in the US than what the do here. But the Mosins are the same price. Don't know if that means anything but I figure the SVT's won't stay at $250 for too many more years.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Liberate Hong Kong, revolution of our times [#uc# you CCP!]

Canadian ForcesMember
    Quote Originally Posted by Strewth View Post
    Only one? If pressed I would say the bolt action, makes the ammo last longer, easier to clean, more accurate. She does kick, however, especially off the bench....are you shooting off a bench?

Really the best advice I could offer is to try and shoot both before you buy, preferably in the environment (bush, range) you'll be using her...

And if budget is a concern (when isn't it) for a semi and a case of ammo it's hard to beat an SKS? Just to muddle the issue.
    Yeah I've already got an SKS, at at 129$ for the mosin, the budget isn't too much of a concern, cheap ammoo is good too. Unfortinutely I won't be able to shoot either one of em before I get one. And if I don't like it, I'm sure I can get ride of it without losing a lot of cash when I only paid 129 for it. Tax is only 13% here in NB too, lower than back home.

Canadian ForcesMember Billythreefeathers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Misterm View Post
    Yeah I've already got an SKS, at at 129$ for the mosin, the budget isn't too much of a concern, cheap ammoo is good too. Unfortinutely I won't be able to shoot either one of em before I get one. And if I don't like it, I'm sure I can get ride of it without losing a lot of cash when I only paid 129 for it. Tax is only 13% here in NB too, lower than back home.
    $129 + $250 = $379

Get both,, no way you can not like shooting the mosin
    CSSA

Banned
    If, in a couple weeks, they have any Tulas I might be interested in having you get one to send my way.

The Mosin gets my vote, FWIW, just because of its' history, simplicity, and the fact that it's pretty much indestructible. Surprisingly accurate, too, especially for an iron sighted milsurp. The bolt is just fun to work and it won't blow through ammo like a semi.
    I like guns.

The Mosin doesn't toss all that precious shiny brass halfway back to Russia
    The SVT is almost indestructible, but the Mosin is a perfect example of absolute simplicity.
    Either is easily worth 3 or 4 times what they are asking, and will still be working when cockroaches take over the planet.
    Surplus for blasting, Factory for hunting, until you realise that handloading will actually let you hit what you are aiming at.
    Neither is cheap or easy to put a scope on, it would cost considerably more than what the rifle cost.
    Hard to go wrong with either one.
    Sorry if that doesn't help much

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast