Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I agree with the above poster that I've never heard of someone passing one and failing the other.

Generally you're talking about a practical handling test that you're either competent on or you're not, and as long as you don't wave the handguns around you'll be fine.

The RPAL is really just about the extra usage laws and storage requirements.

If I were you I'd take the hunter safety course, too. Even if you don't plan on hunting, it does teach extra things about firearm use and ownership that you don't get on the PAL courses.
    I have no signature block.

2. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Petamocto

LB303 (03-13-2018), r5s78 (03-13-2018), Rory McCanuck (03-13-2018)

"...and there's a rifle or shotgun..." That'd be if there's more than one firearm and 2 people in the blind both are assumed to be hunting. Mind you, Ontario's definition of 'hunting' covers just being there. A little CYA goes a long way.
    "...RPAL is really just about the extra usage laws and..." Handling test and possession laws as well.
    The whole thing is mostly about how much money you want to spend. Costs less to do the PAL(that you have to have to get the RPAL) and RPAL at the same time. Hunter's safety is mostly about the game laws and shooting safety in the field.

Just to echo the others, the hunter safety course was put on after my PAL course. I wasn't going to go cause I had no interest at the time, but I decided to take it anyways.
    Lucky I did, went deer hunting soon after and I was hooked.

Also to echo the above, it'd be extremely hard for anyone who pays attention to fail either PAL courses.
    I assume they're still doing hands on with deactivated firearms, knowing how to safety check firearms you're unfamiliar with would be the most difficult part.
    All I did was ask the instructor how to work the firearm first if I was unfamiliar with it. Where's the magazine release? There? Thank you.
    They can't possibly expect you to know how every firearm works, but you are expected to handle everyone as if it was loaded. So keep the muzzle in a safe direction,
    and your finger off the trigger.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

5. The Following User Liked This Post By lone-wolf

r5s78 (03-13-2018)

RobertMcC
    When I did the course, It was 2 days NR, than last day was restricted. If you signed up for both.

Only thing with restricted, shorter the barrel, the easier it is to wave around. Only thing I could see someone failing for. Is sweeping someone with a muzzle. If you pass the NR, no reason why you should fail the Restricted.

My course experience. YMMV.

PAL was one saturday instruction, one Sunday morning handling, then the exam written and practical.

RPAL was the following Saturday instruction, one Sunday morning handling then the exam written and practical.

Instructor told those coming back for the second weekend to not send in our application until we finished both. That way would we check the appropriate box on the application for PAL if that's all we passed or both PAL and RPAL if we didn't. It also affected the fee we paid with the application.

So in short, too late, it is possible to pass only the PAL and still get the license. The other way not so much as the first level is a requisite for the second.

Rare but it happened in my class. One person couldn't handle the muzzle and kept pointing it outside of the safe direction promoted by the instructor all weekend long. I recall he said he would just continue bow hunting then.

FWIW.

Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Liked This Post By triq

r5s78 (03-13-2018)

Also even if you don't intend to hunt, with a hunting license you can walk around the woods with a loaded rifle and plink poisonous mushrooms or whatever. So there's that. Safety first though, of course. Also if you go target shooting in the woods you don't have to worry about proving you're not hunting.

10. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By IJ22

r5s78 (03-13-2018), Rory McCanuck (03-13-2018)

When my son took his Pal/RPal he was the only one who passed the RPal. A friend of mine was the examiner and said the failures were epic.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Enfield View Post
    When my son took his Pal/RPal he was the only one who passed the RPal. A friend of mine was the examiner and said the failures were epic.
    Did he give any indication as to what the students did wrong to fail?

My courses costed whatever it was to send the paperwork in. $80?

Ammo cost? They had you actually shoot?
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Yes! That was the 2nd day of the restricted course. Instructor had soooo many different guns, I just had to buy some different calibers

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast