Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My favourite gun moments was taking my 4 year old to the range shooting. He had shot a .22 before but he just pulled the trigger a bunch and liked to hear the shots go off. This time he wanted to make some targets with holes in them like dad does.

I set him up on a target at about 15 yards and he started plinking away with a couple of my different rifles. He was doing well but stopped after about 10 minutes.

“Dad I want to shoot your big gun at the far away paper.”

I was shooting my 300wsm at 200 for some practice just before I set him up. “Sorry bud that gun is too big for you”, I said pointing to it.

“Not that one dad, your big one in the truck.”

I brought a few extra guns like I always do because you never know who is at the range and I like showing off and bragging about my rifles so I had my fancy .223 with me. It’s super heavy with a 30 inch varmint barrel and had a bell and Carlson target stock on it with a big old Nightforce b.e.a.s.t. to top it off so I figured sure.

“Yeah, you can shoot that one.”

I got the rifle out and set it up on the bipod and a shooting bag on the back, pointed it at the target and let him have at it.

The brat put a 6” group a little left of the bullseye on the 100 yard target with his first 5 rounds and wanted the magazine filled up to the top with ten rounds. After shooting some more mags he has another bright idea.

“Dad I want to shoot something else.”

“Like what?”

“I want to shoot a deer.”

“Well we can’t do that, it’s not hunting season but I think I have some change in my pocket. Do you want to shoot a nickel?” I asked

“Ooo dad I shoot shoot a quarter it has a deer on it!”

I giggled a bit and agreed. I went out to the 15 yard target to set up the quarter and he was right behind me. “No dad at the far paper.” So we went out and set it up.

I gave him the fresh 10 round mag thinking he would never hit the thing and he shoots his first shot like 1 millimetre low into the wood supporting the quarter and the second shot goes left of center right through the damn caribou’s head. I couldn’t believe it.

He carried that quarter with him everywhere to show off to everyone but eventually lost it.

He is now 8 years old and will never let me go to the range alone! He shoots my 9mm pistol, 12gauge shotgun, AR 15s, and has his own .22 to shoot dirt rats. He wants to shoot a chicken, then a duck, then an eagle.

We have convinced him eagles are not for shooting, so now it’s a deer on the list.
    08734519-86A7-405E-AFAE-21690984BC86.jpg

2. The Following 4 Users Like This Post By Magmalis

elliott264 (01-11-2020), Fusilier (01-11-2020), MarkR (01-15-2020), Waterloomike (01-11-2020)