Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Got my RPAL/PAL now what?

After a 6 month wait, I finally got my RPAL/PAL. Question is what's next?

I have seen some folks doing PSC -- and that's cool.. I want to try.. but in looking at the race guns.. its ridiculous in price.

The original reason why I want to do this is to go hunt or long range target shooting. But where do I start?

I still have to find a gun club to join right? Where do I buy guns? Its almost like I don't even know where to start!!! and what questions to ask!!

2. The Following User Liked This Post By Homme007

Aniest (06-13-2022)

Go to a gunshop, and buy some guns.
    If you want a hand gun, go right now.
    Yesterday would have been better.
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

4. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Dewey Cox

Big-Boss-Man (06-13-2022), LB303 (06-14-2022), stevebc (06-14-2022)

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    Well...for restricted stuff - handguns - You sure hit it at the wrong time. I believe in Ontario, you must be a member of a club before the CFO will approve a transfer. I could be wrong on that. I haven't looked into that lately. If that is the case, getting a handgun into your name before "the freeze" takes effect is going to be pretty hard. On top of your time constraints, you've got the near zero inventory issue as well. Dealers are selling out of everything fast and hard. Hopefully one of the guys from Ontario can offer you better direction than I can on the whole issue.

Non-restricted stuff isn't an issue. That's still business as usual. There's places around the GTA to buy long guns. Just do a google. Al Simmons in Hamilton, Bass Pro/Cabelas north of the city. Possibly some Canadian Tires are dealers just outside the GTA. I'm sure you'll get lots of responses. Check out our Marketplace for private sales, Gun Post, Town Post etc are also places to look. Kijiji and Facebook Marketplace don't allow gun sales so don't bother with them. If you're buying off any of the gun sites, including ours, be extremely careful making deals with people who have just signed up and have 0 for a trader rating. There have been plenty of scammers over the years and once you send them that EMT, it's pretty much impossible to get it back.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    June 2013 - The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    May 1 2020 - Liberal un-democratic mass prohibition order in council. - NEVER FORGET !!!!!
    October 21 2022 - Liberals ban all handgun sales and transfers in Canada via order in council - NEVER FORGET !!!

6. The Following User Liked This Post By blacksmithden

Aniest (06-13-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by blacksmithden View Post
    Well...for restricted stuff - handguns - You sure hit it at the wrong time. I believe in Ontario, you must be a member of a club before the CFO will approve a transfer. I could be wrong on that.
    I thought Ontario was the only province that didn't expect range membership? Either way you will need to have a range to shoot a restricted.

SFRC still has a few handgun available, I would suggest getting one while you can, they are selling out fast all across the country. Grab a decent hunting rifle with decent glass and a sufficient caliber for the animal that you intend on hunting. There are a lot of options out there for different caliber rifle combinations, google will be your friend for your search for a rifle. Reach out to ofah they are pretty helpful, I am sure they would be able to point you in the right direction and give you some good advice.

Toronto is going to be a long drive to anywhere you can hunt or do long range target shooting. If you've never hunted before, you need another course on that. The hunting course can be done online, and really it's mostly about safety and good behaviour, not how to actually hunt. You should find a mentor for hunting - learn from the experienced.

9. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By labradort

barkerlakebob (06-14-2022), Big-Boss-Man (06-14-2022)

Range membership is a murky question. Better to have a membership somewhere, just put it that way.
    There was a case about 10 yrs ago where the CFO of the time tried to impose that, but the gun owner successfully rebuffed the condition in court. Trouble is, court is much more expensive than a range membership. And then the CFO just ignored the ruling iirc.
    Don't know how he got away with that, it's contempt if you or I do that, but no consequences for him, and he retired with full pension. So just be aware you are asking a demi-god for permission to use your permission (license), and at least tell them you are actively looking for a range to join.
    "If we had a vote tomorrow I would vote, once again, to keep the Registry..." - Justin Trudeau
    "... if Canadians are to trust their government, their government needs to trust Canadians." - Justin Trudeau
    The world still needs more Canada, it just needs less Justin Trudeau ~ Erin OToole

What others have said is correct: if you want a handgun, buy one TODAY, and hope the transfer goes through before Trudeau issues another OIC to shut it all down.

Seriously. TODAY.
    "Everything Government touches turns to shit."

12. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By stevebc

Big-Boss-Man (06-14-2022), blacksmithden (06-14-2022)

In Ontario you don't need a range membership to buy a restricted (I've bought a few over the years with no current range membership), so go ahead and buy a handgun ASAP before that window closes.

You will need a range membership to use the restricted, and may need it on PAL renewal in five years in your case (apparently they ask some of the time)... but a lot of ranges here have a waiting list, so might as well get that ball rolling as it might take some time.

If you do put your name on a waiting list somewhere, put that club's name down as pending when you purchase the restricted. So a good example is Range Burlington. I think I waited 1.5 years to get in. Put your name on their waiting list, buy a handgun and put Range Burlington (pending) when the seller asks for club. That worked for me; these days your mileage may vary.
    ------------------------------------------------

14. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By chuckufarlie

awndray (06-14-2022), Big-Boss-Man (06-14-2022)

Quote Originally Posted by LB303 View Post
    Range membership is a murky question. Better to have a membership somewhere, just put it that way.
    There was a case about 10 yrs ago where the CFO of the time tried to impose that, but the gun owner successfully rebuffed the condition in court. Trouble is, court is much more expensive than a range membership. And then the CFO just ignored the ruling iirc.
    Don't know how he got away with that, it's contempt if you or I do that, but no consequences for him, and he retired with full pension. So just be aware you are asking a demi-god for permission to use your permission (license), and at least tell them you are actively looking for a range to join.
    Really? you need to be affliated with a gun range before you can purchase any firearm?

Geez.. any places in the GTA that I can buy one? looks like a lot of places are sold out!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast