Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by 6MT View Post
    Yep, this Maxx-Tech stuff is not accurate. I thought it was me. After 400 rounds of missing half of what I was aiming at (a 6" gong at 15m), I was convinced it was me. That is, until I loaded up some Winchester cheapo brass cased 115gr. I then averaged 80% or better for the next 200 rounds.

The Winchester is crappy cheap stuff. The Maxx-Tech is worse. But....still no duds or ++p hammer loads.
    I had I had 3 or 4 heavy and two over the top heavy overloads in the first 30 rounds, and that was all I fired, so I can't comment on accuracy. After showing them the two worst overloaded cases and my broken extractor, the dealer refunded my money and took the stuff back. I bought a set of 9 mm dies, some powder, primer and bullets, and started reloading after almost 35 years. I have reloaded almost 4000 9 mm since then; I shoot more than I ever would have buying ammo, and my home-loads are always more accurate than any bargain 9 mm ammo that I have bought so far. I have loaded to minimums, to maximums, and my Norinco NZ85 runs like a sewing machine regardless of what I load.

2. The Following User Liked This Post By MarkR

6MT (08-08-2018)

Sweet! Have you noticed any cost savings? I have just over 2600 rounds of 9mm 115gr in the safe. My average cost is just under $0.25 per round (net, all in). I can't justify loading my own for that price.

But, I bet yours is more accurate than the Maxx-Tech crap.

4. The Following User Liked This Post By 6MT

MarkR (08-08-2018)

Sweet! Have you noticed any cost savings? I have just over 2600 rounds of 9mm 115gr in the safe. My average cost is just under $0.25 per round (net, all in). I can't justify loading my own for that price.

More accurate (likely due to being more consistent), and yes, cheaper. So far I have been finding my powder at a good price on the EE and from dealers that have gotten estate lots, and I wait for sales on projectiles. I use s & b primers that are $35.00/1000. I have been able to buy brass at 2-3 cents each. My old Lyman turret press I bought in the late '70s so it ows me nothing. Power measure and scale, used in the 70s for 10 bucks. 9mm dies were new; .45 dies new; .40 good as new for 1/2 price (all Lee Carbide).

Cost, maybe around 15-20 cents depending on the components. It is also fun to work up loads, and relaxing to to reload.

Reloading is cheaper. I'm at 17cents a round. Would be way cheaper if I cast and didn't have to pay 59$ for 1000 primers.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

7. The Following User Liked This Post By RobertMcC

MarkR (08-08-2018)

Yeah, at that price you're winning. I spent enough time reloading precision rifle rounds for 5 calibres. I don't really want to load for a pistol. Besides at a quarter of a dollar per round, that's well within my budget. Besides, I'd need to invest in the sunk costs of the equipment, components, dies, etc., etc.. It would be a while before I recovered those costs. For a savings of eight or so cents....quite a while.

And $59/1000 primers sounds like rifle primers.

Yeah, at that price you're winning. I spent enough time reloading precision rifle rounds for 5 calibres. I don't really want to load for a pistol. Besides at a quarter of a dollar per round, that's well within my budget. Besides, I'd need to invest in the sunk costs of the equipment, components, dies, etc., etc.. It would be a while before I recovered those costs. For a savings of eight or so cents....quite a while.

And $59/1000 primers sounds like rifle primers.
    Well it sucks because places in Ontario. You can get them for like 40$. Having to ship kills any deals. Gotta wait till get enough people to do a order for free shipping.

Just the joys of Nova Scotia.

I'd looked at the Maxxtech ammo before at the local gun shop. But, amusingly enough, one of the salesmen that worked there told me to pass on it. (I could reasonably suppose he did it because the more expensive ammo makes more money for the store... but I think he more than likely did it because the quality of Maxxtech isn't as good compared to others.) And for the fact that Blazer is like $1 more a box... I didn't want to risk it.

I was looking into small rifle primers earlier today at the local gun store I frequent... the sales rep scanned the small rifle primers to see how much they were (they weren't labelled) and when the price came up ($59 for 1000 primers) he thought the price was a bit too low. He opened the box and scanned a single pack of 100 (which were price marked) and they came up at $7 a box. For more fun, as it turned out the box of 1000 wasn't even a full 1000. Someone had opened it and sold a box of 100 already.

It seems like even New Brunswick sometimes gets good deals simply because they're closer to Ontario/Quebec (or the US border if they could import directly that way).

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.ec View Post
    I'd looked at the Maxxtech ammo before at the local gun shop. But, amusingly enough, one of the salesmen that worked there told me to pass on it. (I could reasonably suppose he did it because the more expensive ammo makes more money for the store... but I think he more than likely did it because the quality of Maxxtech isn't as good compared to others.) And for the fact that Blazer is like $1 more a box... I didn't want to risk it.

I was looking into small rifle primers earlier today at the local gun store I frequent... the sales rep scanned the small rifle primers to see how much they were (they weren't labelled) and when the price came up ($59 for 1000 primers) he thought the price was a bit too low. He opened the box and scanned a single pack of 100 (which were price marked) and they came up at $7 a box. For more fun, as it turned out the box of 1000 wasn't even a full 1000. Someone had opened it and sold a box of 100 already.

It seems like even New Brunswick sometimes gets good deals simply because they're closer to Ontario/Quebec (or the US border if they could import directly that way).
    Seems like NS stores just like to gouge. Same primers you can get in Ontario are 10-15$ more than what we pay.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12