Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 22 ammo

I have a dream...

costco value pack.jpg
    "All organizations that are not actually right-wing will over time become left-wing." --John O'Sullivan (1989)

CSSA, NRA, and OFAH (yeah, I know)

2. The Following 7 Users Like This Post By Ruff

IJ22 (05-31-2018), infidel29 (03-24-2018), kennymo (03-14-2018), Marcel (10-31-2018), Mark-II (05-30-2018), MissMeggie (06-17-2018), road kill (03-13-2018)

I have three different .22s I shoot, and all three like different ammo than the other.

Buy a "ship" load of different stuff (and not just cheap bulk stuff) and from a bench rest, find which groups the best at your standard range; then stick with it (until it changes).

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    I never seen stingers group well in anything yet, ymmv

Ruff and mark sums up how I feel on the rest.
    Stingers group real good in my friends Cooey single shot. Nothing else that I know of.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    I have a dream...

costco value pack.jpg
    Not one of the three I shoot regularly, nor the other four will group with that s***; but a year ago, it was great!

Quote Originally Posted by MarkR View Post
    Stingers group real good in my friends Cooey single shot. Nothing else that I know of.
    Generally speaking, medium velocity (subsonic) .22 ammo is the most accurate, but yeah it depends on the firearm.
    "All organizations that are not actually right-wing will over time become left-wing." --John O'Sullivan (1989)

CSSA, NRA, and OFAH (yeah, I know)

Fowl Minded
    My Model 64 loves anything over 38 grains and nothing hollow point.

.22LR are still cheap - just try them both!

Quote Originally Posted by Ruff View Post
    ^^^ One thing the wax does is to prevent the lead in the bullet from oxidizing, which makes it swell a bit. Americans get mad when I say this, but it's likely this is going to happen to a lot of hoarded ammo, I mean if the stuff is around for decades and it's not copper coated. I found some really old .22 LR one time and the lead had swelled enough that it wouldn't load in anything, not even manually. Had to scrape the lead down on every single round to shoot it, which would have done nothing for the accuracy if I'd been putting demands on that.
    I too have seen this in old ammo even though it was stored in a cool dry place as it should be.

Just this past weekend I was shooting several rimfire rifles, and proved the point of quality ammo making a difference in accuracy. The rifle was a bolt Krico sporter which is quite accurate on its own with all ammo, but differences among ammo became apparent while testing. I tried about 8 different types of std velocity ammo. Most of it grouped decently at 35yds (I was shooting shorter distance as I actually started out sighting this rifle in as it is new to me), but the SK Magazine grouped with all holes touching and the Lapua Center X was basically one ragged hole.

Rimfire shooters seem to complain about the wax lubricant on bullets calling it "grease". In some of my target pistols that is the only type of ammo that will feed reliably. The only thing to watch out for is making sure to wipe the feedramp and around the chamber clean on pistols when cleaning the bore. This cleaning required does not apply to bolt rifles as much. When I handle that ammo I always have some paper towels at the bench so I can wipe my hands afterward since greasy fingers do not mix well with holding the gun firmly or squeezing the trigger consistently.

CD
    Guns are like potato chips....you can never have just one.

Never trust a politician who says, "trust me".

I will never get used to Big Brother looking over my shoulder!

I have seen the future.................and it SUCKS!!!!
    (born in the wrong time & place)

Theme songs:
    "I Wanna Go Back" by Eddie Money http://www.lyricsdownload.com/eddie-...ck-lyrics.html
    "Dream On" by Aerosmith http://www.lyricsfreak.com/a/aerosmi..._20004389.html

my pistol likes mini mags and surprisingly golden bullets, won't shoot federal bulk at all, my Rem 597 will shoot federal bulk with the occasional ftf, Savage Mk II shoots absolutely everything including any ftf from the other 2

S&B standard velocity has some sort of grease on it, or very soft wax. It's tacky to the touch.

I just got a Savage B22 FV and so far CCI Standard seems to be the best of the 2 types I've put through it - lol

Federal bulk hollow point will In No Way feed from aftermarket Butler Creek A22 mags. It dives straight into the feed ramp, which would greatly prefer to split the bullet in half than allow it to chamber.

It worked ok in the rotary, but did not shoot acceptably.
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast