Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Two Part license question

Part 1 --

Shortly I'm going to be signing up to do my PAL w/R course, and though I fully intend to pass both tests a thought came to mind and I figured this would be a good place to ask.

Can a person pass their PAL but fail their RPAL and still be given their PAL or do they have to pass both given the person has signed up for the courses to do both? I realise a person can sign up ONLY for the PAL and pass that alone, but I was just curious how it works when a person signs up for both at the same time.

Part 2 --

The range my husband and I go to offers three options for licensing. #1 PAL alone, #2 PAL with RPAL, and #3 PAL, RPAL and OHEP (Ontario Hunter Education Program). The third option gives the greatest value (course fees are lower when combining them) and the range has suggested I take the third option. I do not, however, plan to hunt (but you never know what the future will bring). My question is this: would it be worthwhile taking it to have it under my belt?

Its pretty hard to fail the PAL or RPAL course. You basically have to attempt to shoot one or have the mental capacity of a trudeau supporter. If you some how fail the RPAL you should still get the PAL. I have never heard of anyone failing the course.

If you have any interest in hunting I would take it. Or even if you just want to learn something new take it. I am kinda cheap so I would just take option 2

3. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Gnome7500

lone-wolf (03-13-2018), r5s78 (03-13-2018)

Have gun, will travel. Forbes/Hutton's Avatar
    If you at some point in the future you may find yourself with someone (husband?) while they hunt, it's best to have the OHEP and a small game license for yourself even if your not hunting. The wood cops will assume your hunting, even if your not and there's a rifle or shotgun in the group.
    Remember: the opposite of "Far Right" is Far Wrong.

5. The Following User Liked This Post By Forbes/Hutton

lone-wolf (03-13-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Forbes/Hutton View Post
    If you at some point in the future you may find yourself with someone (husband?) while they hunt, it's best to have the OHEP and a small game license for yourself even if your not hunting. The wood cops will assume your hunting, even if your not and there's a rifle or shotgun in the group.
    Excellent point!

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome7500 View Post
    Its pretty hard to fail the PAL or RPAL course. You basically have to attempt to shoot one or have the mental capacity of a trudeau supporter. If you some how fail the RPAL you should still get the PAL. I have never heard of anyone failing the course.

If you have any interest in hunting I would take it. Or even if you just want to learn something new take it. I am kinda cheap so I would just take option 2
    Good to know! I don't vote Liberal, so I think I'm safe.

The difference in cost between the PAL/RPAL and the PAL/RPAL/OHEP is less than $100, whereas the OEHP is $190 on its own.

I would take all three together and get it over with, was going to take PAL first and so forth but someone recommended doing the RPAL together with PAL and I'm forever grateful for that advice.
    CCFR CSSA

9. The Following User Liked This Post By BaBam

r5s78 (03-13-2018)

I agree with the above poster that I've never heard of someone passing one and failing the other.

Generally you're talking about a practical handling test that you're either competent on or you're not, and as long as you don't wave the handguns around you'll be fine.

The RPAL is really just about the extra usage laws and storage requirements.

If I were you I'd take the hunter safety course, too. Even if you don't plan on hunting, it does teach extra things about firearm use and ownership that you don't get on the PAL courses.
    I have no signature block.

11. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Petamocto

LB303 (03-13-2018), r5s78 (03-13-2018), Rory McCanuck (03-13-2018)

"...and there's a rifle or shotgun..." That'd be if there's more than one firearm and 2 people in the blind both are assumed to be hunting. Mind you, Ontario's definition of 'hunting' covers just being there. A little CYA goes a long way.
    "...RPAL is really just about the extra usage laws and..." Handling test and possession laws as well.
    The whole thing is mostly about how much money you want to spend. Costs less to do the PAL(that you have to have to get the RPAL) and RPAL at the same time. Hunter's safety is mostly about the game laws and shooting safety in the field.

Quote Originally Posted by r5s78 View Post
    Good to know! I don't vote Liberal, so I think I'm safe.

The difference in cost between the PAL/RPAL and the PAL/RPAL/OHEP is less than $100, whereas the OEHP is $190 on its own.
    Holy MoneyGrab Batman!
    Is it $190 even with the other two courses?

I'd say take it, every extra bit of knowledge is a good thing, but for $200 I can see why people wouldn't.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

14. The Following User Liked This Post By Rory McCanuck

lone-wolf (03-13-2018)

Just to echo the others, the hunter safety course was put on after my PAL course. I wasn't going to go cause I had no interest at the time, but I decided to take it anyways.
    Lucky I did, went deer hunting soon after and I was hooked.

Also to echo the above, it'd be extremely hard for anyone who pays attention to fail either PAL courses.
    I assume they're still doing hands on with deactivated firearms, knowing how to safety check firearms you're unfamiliar with would be the most difficult part.
    All I did was ask the instructor how to work the firearm first if I was unfamiliar with it. Where's the magazine release? There? Thank you.
    They can't possibly expect you to know how every firearm works, but you are expected to handle everyone as if it was loaded. So keep the muzzle in a safe direction,
    and your finger off the trigger.
    the wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

16. The Following User Liked This Post By lone-wolf

r5s78 (03-13-2018)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast