IMR 4895 In A Dillon Powder Measure

Has anyone tried IMR 4895 or any of the coarser powders in a Dillon powder measure? How consistent was the results?
    I have had very consistent results loading CFE.223 Varget and Benchmark in the Dillon measure.
    I have been reloading .223 on a single stage press using a Hornady Lock And Load measure.
    The Hornady measure is pretty consistent with IMR4895 plus or minus .1 grains.
    Now that I have a load worked up I would like to load up a few hundred on the 550 Dillon.

Terry

"...plus or minus .1 grain..." Isn't accurate enough. .1 is enough to go from an inch group to an inch and a half or more. However, IMR4895 is one of the most commonly used powders. It's used in a horde of rifle calibres. Especially common in .30-06.

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    "...plus or minus .1 grain..." Isn't accurate enough. .1 is enough to go from an inch group to an inch and a half or more. However, IMR4895 is one of the most commonly used powders. It's used in a horde of rifle calibres. Especially common in .30-06.

I don't have a Dillon measure, but if it meters Varget well, it should do at least alright with IMR4895.
    I just measured some Varget, and the kernels were each 0.058" long.
    The 4895 ranged from 0.050 to 0.100 in length, but probably averaged about 0.080"
    It was also a little thicker than Varget, but not by much.
    Maybe a little more binding, I'm not sure.

Please follow up and let us know how it goes.
    Don't blame me, I didn't vote for that clown. Oct 20, '15

I finally got around to loading some .223 in the Dillon 550 press with IMR 4895.
    I took a clean and primed .223 case and ran it through the powder die and measured the results.
    It is fairly consistent I adjusted the measure to drop 24.5 grains. One out of ten would be .1 grains
    low and one out of twenty would be .2 grains low. I never experienced any binding.
    These will be fired out of a Ruger Mini 14 so I don't believe the .1 or .2 grain difference will
    have a big effect on accuracy.
    I fired forty rounds at the steel plates at two hundred yards. I hit the twelve inch plate ten out of ten times
    and the six inch plate eight out of ten times.
    I think that is good enough to get the job done.

Terry

5. The Following User Liked This Post By t_glover

Rory McCanuck (07-05-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Justice View Post
    Don't agree that .1 gr. would make a great difference in overall group size. Your scale can vary that amount during loading especially if you are using a digital scale. I have loaded thousands of rounds especially in .223 and try to get every load perfect but for 99.9999% of shooters .1 means nothing will be different. Remember if you are using a digital scale you might have .09gr more in any load that will not show up, same with a beam scale. In any rifle cal larger than .223 I weigh every single load attempting to get each exactly like the previous and know in reality I am wasting my time.

7. The Following User Liked This Post By Lee Enfield

Rory McCanuck (07-05-2018)

I'm using 4895 (campro 55gr, AE x1 fired brass, federal 205 primers) in my XL650 and for me it's supposed to be throwing close to 25.5gr. I don't recall exactly how much deviation there has been (likely within the 0.1 grain level) though not enough for me to really worry as they were well within the safe tolerances for the load.
    They seem to shoot just fine. Though I have found that the 4895 produces much less recoil than the American Eagle .223 that I originally shot to get the cases. (I tried shooting the handloads then tried some American Eagle .223 right afterwards.)

The next time I'm loading up some rounds I'll mark down the powder throws and post them up.

Edit to add:

I had to take 12 bullets apart (primers weren't fully seated in, a few had case dimension just a very tiny bit outside spec) and so I measured the powder throws from them. So firstly this is a pretty small sample size, not enough to really judge much on. But I thought it might prove somewhat useful anyway. Secondly some of the numbers are off because I fumbled and spilled powder when pouring it from the bullet puller into the powder measure. (3.76 grains specifically was what I fumbled.) So all that said, here are the numbers I got:
    - 24.20 (I fumbled a fair bit of powder here)
    - 24.80 (Another fumble here)
    - 23.96 (I fumbled a lot of powder here)
    - 25.74 (this was one of the first bullets I'd made and had the powder up too high so it's a bit of an outlier.)

When I load some fresh cartridges I'll get some powder throws from them to see how they compare.
    Last edited by Jay.ec; 12-06-2018 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Added powder throws

9. The Following User Liked This Post By Jay.ec

Rory McCanuck (12-02-2018)

Ya well ball or spherical powders work the best ...stick (imr 3031..4895 etc )will work but there is more variation ...
    Iím assuming youíre using a progressive press ..if you are then go slow (whatís the rush)....tap on the side when throwing the charge .....I was told this by a friend ...it work for me in my xl650....