Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    I guess 5% isn't much. 5lb per 100 lbs of lead.
    Assume that works for Glocks too? do you PC?
    no.i hi tek.doesn't add to the diameter like PC does. well...not totally true.i pc'ed before with eastwood ford light blue(the best PC for that specific task) but the accuracy of PC'ed boolits isn't on par with hi tek,so i now hi tek only.....and i don't use generic moulds anymore(lyman,lee etcetc....) . i get my molds cut by accurate moulds.the best and most accurate moulds money can buy,and on top of the quality, i can get my own designs boolits. as example i got a copy of the hornady XTP mold done by accurate moulds (drops at 358 but resized at 357 . extremely accurate in my 17 and 34. i also got a copy of the zero FP in 180 done by Tom at accurate molds dropping at 402 resized to
    401. i'm about to order another one in 130grs dropping at .359 resized to 357.

and yes, i shoot my casts in my numerous glocks lol. without a shadow of a problem.
    Last edited by glockfan; 06-12-2018 at 10:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forbes/Hutton View Post
    I was hoping he would show up and do something useful in front of the cameras. Like beat the flames out with his face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Magi View Post
    This intellectual midget needs to rub the contents of a large tube of PREPARATION H® on his ego and then smack himself with the empty tube until he's in a permanent coma. !

Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    no.i hi tek.doesn't add to the diameter like PC does. well...not totally true.i pc'ed before with eastwood ford light blue(the best PC for that specific task) but the accuracy of PC'ed boolits isn't on par with hi tek,so i now hi tek only.....and i don't use generic moulds anymore(lyman,lee etcetc....) . i get my molds cut by accurate moulds.the best and most accurate moulds money can buy,and on top of the quality, i can get my own designs boolits. as example i got a copy of the hornady XTP mold done by accurate moulds (drops at 358 but resized at 357 . extremely accurate in my 17 and 34. i also got a copy of the zero FP in 180 done by Tom at accurate molds dropping at 402 resized to
    401. i'm about to order another one in 130grs dropping at .359 resized to 357.

and yes, i shoot my casts in my numerous glocks lol. without a shadow of a problem.
    Thanks, Ill look at the Hitek finish over PC. I'm using Xmetal Hitek ATM and like them. Just 112 per 1000, is adding up. Esp when lead is free.

So you resize before or after coating?
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

Thanks, Ill look at the Hitek finish over PC. I'm using Xmetal Hitek ATM and like them. Just 112 per 1000, is adding up. Esp when lead is free.

So you resize before or after coating?
    with hi tek you MUST resize after coating.hi tek don't tolerate a shadow of lube,or it'll not stick properly on the round. then it peels off in the barrel. there's the acetone test,and the hammer test you must perform after each baking to see if the product is well bonded. me i put 2 layers . you must be precise in the amount of acetone and powder.it's 5mill for 20 grams of powder. you must swirl for no more than 10seconds; when the sound of the swirling change for a muffled sound,it,s too late. the acetone flash time is very short. the product must be dry dry before baking.me i put the freshely ''hi tek'ed '' batch under a fan for 15 minutes,then in the CONVECTION oven it goes at 385 for 8 to 10 minutes depnding your oven,how it keeps its temp,and how much time it gets back to the temp asked after the door opening.me i put a fire brick on the bottom of both my oven to shorten the time it takes to get back to 385.it helps quite some.

it's like any recipe. ypou must follow it to the letter ,then it works like a charm,repeatability of the process is premium with hi tek. in australia,they shoot hi tek'ed boolits since 2 decades.the inventor is an australian i know personnally.we talk every week.
    I was hoping he would show up and do something useful in front of the cameras. Like beat the flames out with his face.
    This intellectual midget needs to rub the contents of a large tube of PREPARATION H® on his ego and then smack himself with the empty tube until he's in a permanent coma. !

Quote Originally Posted by glockfan View Post
    with hi tek you MUST resize after coating.hi tek don't tolerate a shadow of lube,or it'll not stick properly on the round. then it peels off in the barrel. there's the acetone test,and the hammer test you must perform after each baking to see if the product is well bonded. me i put 2 layers . you must be precise in the amount of acetone and powder.it's 5mill for 20 grams of powder. you must swirl for no more than 10seconds; when the sound of the swirling change for a muffled sound,it,s too late. the acetone flash time is very short. the product must be dry dry before baking.me i put the freshely ''hi tek'ed '' batch under a fan for 15 minutes,then in the CONVECTION oven it goes at 385 for 8 to 10 minutes depnding your oven,how it keeps its temp,and how much time it gets back to the temp asked after the door opening.me i put a fire brick on the bottom of both my oven to shorten the time it takes to get back to 385.it helps quite some.

it's like any recipe. ypou must follow it to the letter ,then it works like a charm,repeatability of the process is premium with hi tek. in australia,they shoot hi tek'ed boolits since 2 decades.the inventor is an australian i know personnally.we talk every week.
    Sounds like you gotta be fast with the coating. I know everybody I shoot with just PC's.

So if I was to go with a PC, would you recommend like a 356.6?

Sounds like you gotta be fast with the coating. I know everybody I shoot with just PC's.

So if I was to go with a PC, would you recommend like a 356.6?
    the best very best trick is litterally +.001 of what the barrel slugs out for best accuracy and a barrel free of any lead. that goes with pc AND hi tek.thing is this is easier to achive with PC because PC may add +002,even 003 in some instance depending the powder used. hi tek doesn't add much less than 0.001. its kind of microns added really. even with 2 layers.for the very very fast stuff (over 3000fps) some guys do 3 layers over a 15 BHN boolit....but you need a tight barrel and sharp riflings to hook on bare lead covered with a stain acting as coating-lube which is what hi tek is...hi tek don't encapsulate the lead.it's a solid stain which harden the lead and seal the lead at the same time.

You guys lost me
    Schrödinger's Gat - The logical paradox which posits that a firearm, stored safe in the home, is at the same time On The Streets

Tested my range scrap ingots, lee hardness tester, following lee directions to test an ingot, tried 2 ingots, 3 indents in each, all came out at 16.6 bnh. I'll try another 1/2 dozen ingots tomorrow and see what I get, if they all come out about the same, I'm going to call my scrap good to go as is, could even add some pure lead to bring it down to 12 or so.

Since a lot of guys at my range use the Bullet Barn for their bullets I checked their site to see how hard, says "brinell hardness of 25" so no wonder my scrap is coming in so high.

Quote Originally Posted by Greglc View Post
    Tested my range scrap ingots, lee hardness tester, following lee directions to test an ingot, tried 2 ingots, 3 indents in each, all came out at 16.6 bnh. I'll try another 1/2 dozen ingots tomorrow and see what I get, if they all come out about the same, I'm going to call my scrap good to go as is, could even add some pure lead to bring it down to 12 or so.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greglc View Post
    Since a lot of guys at my range use the Bullet Barn for their bullets I checked their site to see how hard, says "brinell hardness of 25" so no wonder my scrap is coming in so high.
    Thanks

Well I put a piece of 3/4" plywood down on a drill press. Placed a scale, used a rounded 5/32 drill bit. Placed another piece of 3/4" plywood. Put a ingot down. Applied 68lbs. Held for 30 seconds.

Used this calculator.

https://www.ajdesigner.com/phphardne...r.php#ajscroll

Told me I got around 11 BHN. Seems about right for the BHN for range scraps..

Good to go as is?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast