Fill your flat tire with your engine

https://www.google.ca/search?client=...1EEAYt592aWTM:

SPARK PLUG TIRE INFLATOR

How much in terms of PSI could this put out? It might alllow air tools as well.

A couple comments I found on it suggethat it could fill the tire just by cranking, not running.

However, I read an article long ago about Australian semis that had a dedicated cylinder doing something like this as part of a dust reduction or maybe air lift system. Crazy Aussie stuff.

Sounds like it’s an easy DIY as well, depending on if you can still disassemble a spark plug/injector. Never tried to take one apart before.

The Gunsmithing Moderator blacksmithden's Avatar
    I live among the creatures of the night (Edmonton)
    My grandfather had a rig set up for an old gasoline tractor he had. I remember it worked perfectly.
    GOC moderator
    Dealer/co-founder/co-owner of Tundra Supply Ltd.
    www.tundrasupply.ca
    The High River Gun Grab - NEVER FORGET !!!!
    Feb 26 2014 - Swiss Arms prohibition and ordered confiscation by the RCMP - NEVER FORGET !!!!!

3. The Following User Liked This Post By blacksmithden

SIR VEYOR (08-01-2018)

And maybe a better looking link...
    https://www.stopngo.com/engine-power...release-lever/

Quote Originally Posted by SIR VEYOR View Post
    https://www.google.ca/search?client=...1EEAYt592aWTM:

SPARK PLUG TIRE INFLATOR

How much in terms of PSI could this put out? It might alllow air tools as well.

A couple comments I found on it suggethat it could fill the tire just by cranking, not running.

However, I read an article long ago about Australian semis that had a dedicated cylinder doing something like this as part of a dust reduction or maybe air lift system. Crazy Aussie stuff.

Sounds like it’s an easy DIY as well, depending on if you can still disassemble a spark plug/injector. Never tried to take one apart before.
    Well a healthy car engine puts out over 100 PSI of compression.

But the running the risk of draining your battery and the cost. Plus with most new cars everything under plastics. Flooding the cylinders with fuels, more PITA than anything.

Its much cheaper to just get a 12V compressor. I got one from the 90s and works mint.
    When the rich wage war, It's the poor who die.

6. The Following User Liked This Post By RobertMcC

webster (08-02-2018)

I have one of these contraptions in my 1950 dodge my grandfather gave me. I have never tried it as its ancient buy looks good in the trunk.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    "Canadians expend about half a billion rounds of ammunition per year (ammunition import statistics). If guns are the cause of homicide, we're missing 99.9999992% of the time." from Range Bob

Quote Originally Posted by RobertMcC View Post
    Well a healthy car engine puts out over 100 PSI of compression.

But the running the risk of draining your battery and the cost. Plus with most new cars everything under plastics. Flooding the cylinders with fuels, more PITA than anything.

Its much cheaper to just get a 12V compressor. I got one from the 90s and works mint.
    Looks like you can run the engine, not just crank it. And it seems to be a motorcycle market as well. I’m thinking ATV tires and such where space/weight starts to be a concern and given the flat is frequently not near your staging point.

As for initial cost, it’s almost a wash. As for tripping codes, etc.; possibly issues later. Maybe not though.

from- https://www.doityourself.com/stry/ho...air-compressor

It is possible to build an air compressor from a V8 engine. In the 1940s and ‘50s this type of setup was often seen on job sites, but has faded from popularity as self-contained industrial air compressors became widespread. The basic design involves using four cylinders on one side of the engine for combustion and four cylinders on the other side of the engine for compression. This is commonly known as the monoblock design. Performing this conversion requires significant mechanical skills and poses a risk of engine damage or explosion if done incorrectly.

Steps listed in link.

Would be tough getting at the plugs on many modern vehicles, but when I was young we did it commonly around the farm. A lot more tire problems back then it seems...

11. The Following User Liked This Post By Dmay

Northshore (08-02-2018)