Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    justin appointed a couple more recently.

The current 'party' layout in the senate is
    • Independent Senator's Group ISG (47)
    • Conservative (31)
    • Liberal[a] (10)
    • Non-affiliated (8)
    • Vacant (9)

Thus it's
    a) ISG + Liberal = 57
    vs
    b) Conservative + Non-affiliated = 39

But
    while most consider Independent Senator's Group to be Liberal
    in fact 7 of them were appointed by Conservatives (Harper). The ISG existed, as a small body of non-affiliated mostly conservative appointed senators to bring additional balance without whip, before justin dumped a bunch of Liberals into it and whipped it.

So, perhaps the numbers are actually
    Thus it's
    a) ISG(liberal) + Liberal = 50
    vs
    b) Conservative + Non-affiliated + ISG(Conservative) = 46

With the 9 vacancies, that could tip the balance back conservative after the next election
    but
    the next 6 set to retire in 2019/2020 are all conservative,
    so
    really it'll be Liberal until the end of 2020 at least.

justin has appointed 43(?) senators, with an average of 10 more years (2029) before retirement, the youngest will be gone in 2044. (14.3 per year)
    Harper appointed 59, over 10 years. (5.9 per year)
    Last edited by RangeBob; 10-05-2018 at 10:21 PM.

It'd be nice if we could elect a conservative leader who isn't afraid to use the powers of a majority government.
    I think Harper had to wear flush-a-by diapers under his pants he was peeing them so much between 2011 and 2015.
    Just about every time he saw a news stand or a TV set. And he still lost the election after 4 gimp years.
    He could have done so much more if his nut sack had something in it.
    The fed cons should be observing the Ford government in Ontario and taking notes.
    NFA member
    NRA Life Member
    OFAH member

3. The Following User Liked This Post By Gunrunner

TheMerlin (10-10-2018)

The senate hasn't discussed Bill C-71 since this thread.
    This week the senate isn't holding any meetings.

Next week, and every week thereafter, the Senate is in session at least 3 days a week, and 5 days a week if they need it.
    https://sencanada.ca/en/calendar/

They may resume debate on Bill C71 Tuesday Oct 16
    https://sencanada.ca/en/content/sen/...p_2018-10-16-e

Sen Tony Dean checks his email late at night and replies (or someone in his office does for him). Keep sending those emails!

Notice JT is too much of a coward to cast his vote. Not that it matters though. It's clear what's happening here. https://openparliament.ca/votes/42-1/886/

7. The Following User Liked This Post By awndray

Waterloomike (10-25-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by awndray View Post
    Notice JT is too much of a coward to cast his vote. Not that it matters though. It's clear what's happening here. https://openparliament.ca/votes/42-1/886/
    I see Maxime Bernier didn't bother to vote. No chance I will ever support his party if this issue isn't important enough for him.

...that's a real pet peeve of mine. Regardless of what the vote is on, MP's are paid a healthy salary to attend to do a job. The most important task you have as an MP is to vote on behalf of your constituents. If you aren't sick, then you better be there to vote, period. No travel, no holiday's while parliament is in session, no committee crap, etc etc. Attend, vote, or get fired.
    "The most important thing to do in your life is to not interfere with someone else's life"

-- Frank Zappa

9. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Soph

manic29 (10-25-2018), TheMerlin (10-25-2018), Waterloomike (10-25-2018)

Sent by me earlier today to all the Senator emails (Thanks DougM!)

Dear Senator,

It has been stated many times now that bill C-71 contains no "back door registry".

If this is true, I'm curious. Why does the term "Registrar" appear in C-71 eleven times? What good is a "Registrar" without a "Registry"?

Perhaps it is this - I would like to refer you to the following section of bill C-71; specifically section 23 (1) (b):

---------------
    Authorization to transfer non-restricted firearms
    23 (1) A person may transfer one or more non-restricted firearms if, at the time of the transfer,
    (a) the transferee holds a licence authorizing the transferee to acquire and possess a non-restricted firearm;
    (b) the Registrar has, at the transferor’s request, issued a reference number for the transfer and provided it to the transferor; and
    (c) the reference number is still valid.
    ---------------

What information will the transfer reference number reference? I assume the date and name of the transferor and transferee - what about the firearm being transferred? Would the information the Registrar collected not be stored for future reference? In that case, would this not be evidence of a back door registry?

Thank you for your time.
    Reply from Senator Dalphond:

I am responding to your query.

The registrar maintains a list of permit holders. The registrar can thus confirm in a few minutes if the contemplated transferee is entitled to own the firearm.

No registry of non-restricted firearms.

Best regards

Pierre J Dalphond

Envoyé de mon iPhone
    My follow up:

Dear Senator Dalphond,

I would like to express my sincere gratitude for your your reply. You certainly have helped me to understand the job of the Registrar in this regard. Thank you.

I have a follow up question, if I may ask.

Is there any legislation or proposed legislation which prohibits or limits the Registrar from recording and maintaining a list of inquiries, by reference number, which would include the names, type of firearm, etc?

Thank you again for your time.
    I don't have a firearms problem; they all work perfectly well.
    Membership: CCFR, SAF&G
    Gov’t couldn’t make sense if you gave them a recipe.

11. The Following User Liked This Post By DanN

Doug_M (10-25-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by DanN View Post
    Is there any legislation or proposed legislation which prohibits or limits the Registrar from recording and maintaining a list of inquiries, by reference number, which would include the names, type of firearm, etc?
    Actually, Bill C-71 requires the registrar to record (forever) the {buyer's PAL, Seller's PAL, date, reference number}.

I don't think they record the make/model/serial, but there was a while over the past few years when verifying PALs that they did, so that they could be happy that it was a non-restricted firearm and not a restricted firearm, and so that they could be happy that a sale was going on and not merely someone verifying a PAL -- but they stopped asking for make/model at one point.

Canadian Forceswww.specterarms.ca Specter Arms's Avatar
    The liberal plan is to ban all guns. Caliber, action, size...all irrelevant..they want them all.

Once you accept that fact the mad genius behind c-71 is apparent.

They don't need to know what you own; they want them all. They only need to know how many you have. People ignorant of this fact claim it's not a registry and it will not support future confiscation...they are wrong.

Gun control is a generational game and every new PAL issued after C-71 is keeping a tally for when things are politically right to take them all.

If you are a new PALer and you numbers do not match the government tally, you are toast.

C-71 sets the stage for effective firearms confiscation even better then the old long gun registry because too many people have been fooled as to its function and intent.
    Guns, optics and accessories along with sound professional advice at
    www.specterarms.ca
    http://specterarms.blogspot.ca/

14. The Following 6 Users Like This Post By Specter Arms

awndray (10-25-2018), Doug_M (10-25-2018), Gunexpert007 (10-26-2018), Magi (10-26-2018), manic29 (10-28-2018), Soph (10-26-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by Specter Arms View Post
    The liberal plan is to ban all guns. Caliber, action, size...all irrelevant..they want them all.

Once you accept that fact the mad genius behind c-71 is apparent.

They don't need to know what you own; they want them all. They only need to know how many you have. People ignorant of this fact claim it's not a registry and it will not support future confiscation...they are wrong.

Gun control is a generational game and every new PAL issued after C-71 is keeping a tally for when things are politically right to take them all.

If you are a new PALer and you numbers do not match the government tally, you are toast.

C-71 sets the stage for effective firearms confiscation even better then the old long gun registry because too many people have been fooled as to its function and intent.
    Truer words have never been spoken . No doubt after a few more years , all gun dealers will be ordered to forward all their previous firearm sales records to govt. to be recorded in a new govt. firearm data base .
    " Better To Fight For Something , Than Live For Nothing " ; " When In Doubt....ATTACK ".......Gen. George S. Patton Jr.

16. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By Gunexpert007

manic29 (10-28-2018), Specter Arms (10-26-2018)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast