Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I saw the title of this thread and though "I'd prefer to buy cutting oil that was produced in Alberta."
    Why does the rest of the country get first dibbs on half my income?

2. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By Dewey Cox

Camo tung (12-04-2018), Hidyn (12-05-2018), SIR VEYOR (12-04-2018)

I really wonder how they plan on stopping the machine... Cutting production in the oil sands is pretty stupid in my opinion. These sites are built to run lean and efficient. The only way you can slow production 8% is to lay off 8% of the work force, give or take. That's literally thousands of jobs hanging in the balance that the NDP has decided to axe. The free market should be the ones to decide which jobs stay and which go. Better yet, they should be the ones deciding to invest in new technologies that improve efficiency and output. Notley has effectively set the whole industry back 4-5 years.

4. The Following 2 Users Like This Post By JustBen

lone-wolf (12-03-2018), TheMerlin (12-04-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by JustBen View Post
    I really wonder how they plan on stopping the machine... Cutting production in the oil sands is pretty stupid in my opinion. These sites are built to run lean and efficient. The only way you can slow production 8% is to lay off 8% of the work force, give or take. That's literally thousands of jobs hanging in the balance that the NDP has decided to axe. The free market should be the ones to decide which jobs stay and which go. Better yet, they should be the ones deciding to invest in new technologies that improve efficiency and output. Notley has effectively set the whole industry back 4-5 years.
    The fact that the PC party...er UCP...came out in support of the move tells us something. This is about the mid-cap oil sands players using their local political muscles (Cenovus, CNRL, MEG, etc etc) against the big 3 integrateds (Suncor, Imperial and Husky) The latter are making an absolute killing with the price differential on their refining side, so the last thing they wanted was a production cut. The mid-sized players, alternatively, don't have that integrated footprint so they are missing out on all the refining juiciness. They are feeling the pinch more directly. And it's those mid-sized guys that contribute heavily to the PC party, so Kenney is out marching for them of course.

Insofar as job losses go, I see this having a decent chance of balancing out. The mid's will keep people on, the big guys will cut. Had they not capped, the reverse would have happened.

I don't support the NDP move at all mind you. I think anytime government is sticking its nose in it's a bad thing, with potentially worse consequences just around the corner.
    "The most important thing to do in your life is to not interfere with someone else's life"

-- Frank Zappa

Canadian Forceswww.specterarms.ca Specter Arms's Avatar
    What ever happened to the bill that controls what flows out of the province? Cut off gasoline to west BC to increase carrying capacity for export?

Was that just an empty threat?
    Guns, optics and accessories along with sound professional advice at
    www.specterarms.ca
    http://specterarms.blogspot.ca/

Quote Originally Posted by Specter Arms View Post
    What ever happened to the bill that controls what flows out of the province? Cut off gasoline to west BC to increase carrying capacity for export?

Was that just an empty threat?
    Yes, I think that was largely symbolic. That bill may have had a timeline on it as well....I don't recall for certain though.
    "The most important thing to do in your life is to not interfere with someone else's life"

-- Frank Zappa

moved close to the lake.Some call it Gilford.
    Crank up production, ship what has to be shipped and burn the rest. Scorched earth tactics that Genghis Khan would admire. Keep the home fires burning until all the pipelines are completed. Global warming/climate change be damned, give the planet a nuclear winter for Christmas . I am some pizzed off furious at all those effin' eco-nazis and the Marxist f***s that are running Canada into debt and despair.
    cookin' up a batch of fun (and pasta)

Can I Hear A Ramen!!!

9. The Following 3 Users Like This Post By FALover

infidel29 (12-10-2018), Soph (12-06-2018), Suputin (12-05-2018)

Quote Originally Posted by FALover View Post
    Crank up production, ship what has to be shipped and burn the rest. Scorched earth tactics that Genghis Khan would admire. Keep the home fires burning until all the pipelines are completed. Global warming/climate change be damned, give the planet a nuclear winter for Christmas . I am some pizzed off furious at all those effin' eco-nazis and the Marxist f***s that are running Canada into debt and despair.
    A giant open pit of the sourest raw bitumen, rolling with a plume of black smoke big enough to see from space.

11. The Following User Liked This Post By Grimlock

Soph (12-06-2018)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123